CAB 50

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wishingmantis61

Nov 2, 2021
North Pa
So I bought a CAB 50 used for $400. Got it all installed in and went to burn my first bag. Read the instructions in the manual on first fire and got nothing to work. Feed motor won't drop pellets so I tried putting pellets in the burn pot to have the ignitor light. That won't light either. I bought a replacement feed motor, ignitor, thermocouple and snap discs to just have as bonus parts initially. So I changed all of them out, and nothing still works. However, when I changed the feed motor, the original feed motor only had 2 wires connected the white one and the black one, and this new one has a white, a black and a yellow. According to the manual, yellow is the ignitor.

Is this what the problem is you think? It's weird to me the original only had 2 and now this one has 3.

I also did some reading on here before posting and it seems to be that the control box is something to check as well.

Thanks for any help

Sounds to me like it's board time.... First thing I do when buying a used stove to refurbish is check the board to insure it functions. The board is always the big expense.

I'd suggest a surge suppressor as well. I always recommend a Tripp-Lite Isobar. I use the 2 outlet one that hard attaches to the faceplate on the outlet box. 32 bucks on Amazon. Well worth the expense considering what a new board costs.

Sounds to me like it's board time.... First thing I do when buying a used stove to refurbish is check the board to insure it functions. The board is always the big expense.

I'd suggest a surge suppressor as well. I always recommend a Tripp-Lite Isobar. I use the 2 outlet one that hard attaches to the faceplate on the outlet box. 32 bucks on Amazon. Well worth the expense considering what a new board costs.
I will order that Tripp Lite with my next paycheck as well as the control board. It was what I thought was wrong as well. Have you ever worked on one of these stoves? I'm curious on the wiring to the feed motor if you have any input on that. Thanks for the advice so far.