Cabela's Wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GoCartbuilder

Feb 4, 2022
Freeland Michigan
Does anyone have any information on the Cabela's wood stove shown in the attachment? Has Cabela's in cursive text on the door with a raised duck logo. Still has stenciled white paint text on side, but I cannot make out what it says. The unit may be cast iron but appears to be made out of welded spiral wrapped flat steel. (kinda like the round spiral wrapped paper tubes that frozen biscuits come in) This is avery well made and heavy woodbuner. Came with two very heavy 8 foot long exhaust pipes with heavy duty couplers. Hoping to find out when and where it was manufactured and who originally sold it. I have not been able to find anything about it.

Thanks

Robert

IMG_20220203_133705130.jpg IMG_20220203_133728689.jpg IMG_20220203_133737483.jpg IMG_20220203_142715420.jpg

Are you sure its Cabela wood stove or Cabela barrel stove kit whihc consisted of the front door and grille?

I agree its not a normal barrel, but that victalic couple for the stack also also looks odd. My guess is someone with spare time and access to scrap pile built or repurposed the barrel and stack pipes then installed a barrel kit front plate. I have seen those barrel kit front doors and air inlets used on several oddball home brew stoves.

Take a look at a Vermont Elm woodstove, its ancestor was reportedly a barrel stove kit. The Elm is what someone ends up with when they solve all the issues with barrel stove;)

Reactions: all night moe
Looked up a more modern one just for the details of it and this is a barrel one but not your antique one but tells you about what they do anyway...Cannot find yours..clancey

Did Cabela's make a door kit? However, I do not believe it is door kit. It is too well made. I m a welder and these are experts welds on the barrel. Look like automated machine welds.
The clamp and that chimney pipe looks like it's from a commercial sprinkler system .
Them sprinkies do some pretty welds.

Reactions: caseywheels
What I know is it has "Cabela's" raised embossed text on the door and a raised empossed duck logo on the door above the text. It very well could be a door kit. If so, whom ever built it put the kit on one heck of a heavy round tube and was an expert welder. I will be putting it into service in my shop soon.

Thanks everyone,

Robert

Thickness of the barrel may tell a story, if you can determine it. 1/8 or 1/4'' wall would be for containing flamable liquids stored at atmospheric pressure. A 3/8 wall would be for something under pressure like LPG.

The leg kit almost screams 1/8 wall, as do the stenciled numerical writing. The leg mounts look to be 1/8'' from the pic.

When VC Defiants were converted from the type 1 to type 2, the kit included a new side door and frame to replace the existing one. The old door had no use once the rebuild was done. I still have the old door as its real nice casting and would make a nice start for home brew stove. I tend to lean towards the hoarding side of the spectrum so there is sits probably 20 years after I rebuilt the stove. It will probably sit there until I move or someone else has to deal with the estate;)

That stenciling is what made me think of it was built out of scrap, I used to buy a lot of pipe for projects at pulp and paper mill, mostly stainless but on occasion carbon steel and the carbon steel usually had that stenciling on it. Most of my large projects were done by contractors and on several hundred thousand dollar project being done in hurry it was inevitable to end up with a pile of unused fittings many in perfectly good condition. At the end of the project when the managers were in rush to get contractors off the site (it was union mill) the contractors would ask what to do with the leftovers and most of the time I told them to just haul it off the site. No doubt a lot of went home with folks.

It looks like a fine stove, a lot beefier than using a regular 55 gallon drum.

Reactions: all night moe
Looks like a piece of pipe, not a barrel.
The leg mounts are standard home heating oil tank style.

Reactions: snobuilder
I'd be interested in what the back welds look like. It appears that it's spiral welded pipe and the front was factory welded. With the 6" pipe I'm betting it was the end of a run of a water or sewer pipe and the 6" was a stub line. Someone probably cut out for the door, welded a rear plate and some legs.

Custom Cabelas Smoker _DSC6107.jpg

I saw this interesting gizmo in the Nelson ghost town south of Las Vegas. Definitely a Cabela's barrel stove door kit as it was indeed welded into a barrel. Does anybody have a guess as to the purpose of the curved chamber above the barrel? Maybe it was used as a smoker?

View attachment 312054
I saw this interesting gizmo in the Nelson ghost town south of Las Vegas. Definitely a Cabela's barrel stove door kit as it was indeed welded into a barrel. Does anybody have a guess as to the purpose of the curved chamber above the barrel? Maybe it was used as a smoker?
Looks like a heat scavenger arrangement.