Caddy Advanced and AC Setup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AlphaHarvester

Jul 14, 2022
Steep Rock, MB
Greetings fellow log lovers :) I've just had a Caddy advanced installed with a AC connected to the cold air return duct. Unfortunately only now I know the issues with my current setup. In my defense, the tech specs Q&A on the Caddy Advanced page say an AC can be done, but it turns out they aren't reffering to the advanced rather their other PSG units.

1) I have a caddy advanced which doesn't have an extra 24v to power the AC, or communicate.
2) The AC coil is located in the return duct, which can cause condensation and rust to the firebox, or potential melting issues if the power goes out and heat transfers to the cold duct from the supply plenum, however the later is low odds based on where the coil is.

I know how to resolve 2), by copying the AC setup for the Caddy Max, itemized in 10.2.

Does anyone have a detailed explanation for how to resolve #1?
Some words I've heard thrown around are, extra 24V transformer, powered from somewhere {the advanced board possibly?), with a relay to call for the fan when set to cool mode.

As it is, were already having an issue just gettting the fan to spin on it's own, aside from any AC input.

I've reached out to PSG, who didn't have a solution. I've contemplated returning the unit to supplier.
The problem is trying to get a replacement Caddy Max or other before this winter will be a stretch.

Thank you for any masterminds.

I didn’t realize the Advanced couldn’t be used with AC. I wonder if it can be used with a heat pump. Is it because of the type of blower motor that it has?

I wouldn’t return the unit if you can help it, especially having gone through the trouble of already installing it. Why not retrofit the 24v hardware from a Max Caddy?