calculating stove temp.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vasten

Nov 11, 2007
Upstate NY
I have a stove pipe temp gauge/flue temp gauge. And I have been watching it over the past several weeks and am getting curious here.

If the stove pipe is reading 400 deg, what is the temp of the stove? I am asuming that if my stove was 80% effecient it would be around 2,000 degrees, in the fire box. 2,000 * .20 flue temp = 400 degrees, leaving 1600 degrees to warm the stove and then the room.

it seems to me that if there was 1600 degrees in that fire box to heat the house, I would be driven out of the down stairs, yet I am not realizing that kind of output. I have tried kiln dried wood as a test, and it did seem somewhat better but not all that great.

Also this stove is an older regency FS1100, manf date of 1997, and it came cast with the holes for a flue damper, does anyone know if this stove was desgined to have one in place? I am assuming if it came cast with the holes for it then it probably should have it right. Thought here beeing I could use the flue damper to keep the stove temp higher and reburn any exhaust gases.

The 'calculation' doesn't really work that way. I don't know the exact numbers, but I'm sure it's pretty complex, not simply temp x efficiency. Stove top temps and flue temps of various set-ups have been discussed to extremely great extent on the forums...you ma try punching those in as search terms to get a general idea of what others are measuring.

The flue temps and stove top temp don't exactly track together. Initially the flue temp will be higher until the stove warms up and good secondary combustion occurs. At that point (usually the air control is reduced by xx%) the flue temps may decrease while the stove top temp climbs. Here's a chart I did for our stove one day.

If I had charted the temps hourly you would have seen the flue temp higher initially. I plan on doing another chart at hourly increments sometime later when we are burning 24/7, but that will probably be in January.

Attachments

• PET6-graph.jpg
    PET6-graph.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 173
Status
Not open for further replies.