Calling all Pellet boiler owners, how’s it going?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
im in northern Ontario and going through 60 stove cords of unseasoned wood , so I’m trying to figure out how much pellets I’m going to use and a pain in the butt I’m guessing it’s going to be 30 tons , if anyone has a clue and can help ou it would be great ive looked at the conversion tables an still can’t get it
60 stove cords?is that like the "Face Cord"
Most everyone equates a cord of wood as 4'x4'x8', that is the legal definition and then you can compare apples to apples.
face cords can be anything that is 4'x8' and could be 1'deep or 4' deep or more depending on the length of wood you stove will take.

Wow, that’s a lot of wood. If I understand you right, that would be 40 “standard” cords. Do you burn year round?

Yes I’m not sure how much people wood , ever one seems to have a different meaning , I burn one full transport load and a half when I get it they say there’s 48 stove cords on a truck witch is 4 foot tall 8 feet long and 16 inches wide , I don’t cut mine 16 inches i cut mine at 30 inches . No I don’t burn all year round from nove till middle of April . I’ve been burning wood since I was a kid and would like to go to pellet boiler . And would love to know how many tons of pellets it’s going to equal

I do not know wood to pellet conversion. I’ve never used pellets. Those who do will need to know the amount of standard cords you currently burn. The other thing that might work would be if you weigh the wood you use and also know the moisture content. According to the info I found, one pound of dry yellow birch would have approximately 6,397 btus. One pound of pellets would be approximately 8,250 btus per pound.

1 ton of pellets would contain around 16 million btu's. It looks like 1 standard cord (4x4x8) would average around 20 million btu's. So there's at least some confusion on my end on how many standard cords (4x4x8) you are using per year. Once you know that number, basically increase that number by 25% to get the number of tons of pellets you would use. Of course that isn't taking efficiency into account. The efficiency of your 6048 vs a Maxim. Also doesn't take into account any other efficiency items (insulated lines) that you can improve along the way.

Hi All, I'm new to this forum and Hearth. I wanted to reach out and get some opinions from ya'll. I had a Kedel boiler installed in 2016. I knew there was going to be a learning curve with it but thought it would settle in and eventually pay for itself. I've had all kinds of issues with it over the years. My local guys who installed and service the boiler have been out here a zillion times this winter. They are just as frustrated with these units as I am. The biggest issue I've had over the years is the ignitors failing. There have been other issues as well. I'm exhausted with not having heat in the dead of winter (Christmas morning, 3 degrees out, no heat). I have zero interest in going back to oil heat or some other fossil fuel. What kind of boiler do you have, and what has your experience been like? I'd really appreciate some honest appraisals. I may just end up replacing this unit.
Hi - hope your still on the board here. I too have a Kedel installed in 2015 and problematic to say the least. Ran good all last winter but it just quit again. And now I find out Evan, my go-to Kedal guy in Portland, has closed up. Did you find anyone else to help figure things out....or did you just toss it and get another? Thanks -Dan

Hi - hope your still on the board here. I too have a Kedel installed in 2015 and problematic to say the least. Ran good all last winter but it just quit again. And now I find out Evan, my go-to Kedal guy in Portland, has closed up. Did you find anyone else to help figure things out....or did you just toss it and get another? Thanks -Dan
Hi Dan,
Yeah, I still have the Kedel. My latest problem is the vacuum completely died and I'm told there are no parts or even getting another vacuum. So I have a silo with 3+ tons of pellets that I need to find some way to get from there to the hopper. Boiler and hopper auger are working fine (knock on wood). Just need to try and get through this winter, go through these pellets and then look into something else. I've had it with this lemon. Don't know where I can just get a vacuum? I'm using the shop vac to get them from the auger and then dumping them by hand, but it's a ton of work/time.

Hi Dan,
Yeah, I still have the Kedel. My latest problem is the vacuum completely died and I'm told there are no parts or even getting another vacuum. So I have a silo with 3+ tons of pellets that I need to find some way to get from there to the hopper. Boiler and hopper auger are working fine (knock on wood). Just need to try and get through this winter, go through these pellets and then look into something else. I've had it with this lemon. Don't know where I can just get a vacuum? I'm using the shop vac to get them from the auger and then dumping them by hand, but it's a ton of work/time.
Yeah…I wonder how many of these Kedels were actually sold. And I see the manuf NEB in Denmark has come a long way in design with their NEB line. Have you been in touch with Alvin Hernandez in Denmark? He is still supporting the kedel and in fact has recently sent me a new control…..another $900. Ugh. If your not aware he is at [email protected] . My job today is to get all my questions in order about how to put this new controller in for a phone call to Alvin tomorrow. The 6 hr time diff is a big PIA. -Dan-