Camping tent wood stoves...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MagdalenaP

Burning Hunk
Nov 10, 2018
Tilbury, ON
Hey All! Happy (or miserable, it's fine...) New Years!

I have been watching a lot of youtube videos about a certain camping park I'm considering winter camping at (however, we're in a travel trailer with electric...so no need for a wood stove), but I have come across lots of people with wood stoves in tents, not really knowing how to create a fire, or keep it warm. So I want to do a write up and post it, however, I'm busy for the time being. Would anyone like to write up a comprehensive how to make a fire for a camping wood stove?

Issues that need to be addressed: Many are leaving the door wide open upon start up, many are not loading the stove east to west, nor adding big enough spits for night, nor filling the fire box.

I could write it up my self, but like I said, I'm busy...and well (I think I have covid and my mind is literally dumbed right down and I know I'll forget important stuff, but that's another story) I'm sure one of you would love to help 😀

Most portable tent stoves are made for larger tents. They usually are N/S box loaders made of relatively light metal for portability. How to run them depends on one's skill level, the wood supply, and how cold it is. Most important is that the flue pipe does not set the tent on fire! And that an errant ember does not do the same! This does happen sometimes, even to seasoned vets.

Here is how one group ran their stainless stove in Russia at -35º temps. Don't try this at home kids.

hot russian stove.jpg

Begreen, how I didn't think of the fact that they are mostly rectangular is beyond me. Great point. Of course they shouldn't' be run so hot, but most I see have barely any wood in them. What about carbon monixide advice? With no electricity.

I suppose it's a risk, but if the stove is drafting properly then it should be ok. Most tents are amply vented, especially if it's windy.

I had splits that were 2-3”x10”.
Mines too small to get too fancy, but once I have some coals from a hot kindling fire, I mean stuff it full of twigs and kindling, light it with the door cracked for a while and then once it’s going good shut the door till it burns down enough to start stuffing wood in it.
It was in the 20s and I could load it up at night, get comfy and fall asleep and then load it up again in the middle of the night sometime when I rolled over.
I only used it at base camp so I used it a couple nights this year.

I bet that little tent stove heat felt good on a cold cold night especially with a hot cup of coffee..Don't know much about them but think they are cute and need to have caution with them meaning "keeping an eye on things" and as long as you have air and a good exhaust system of piping that won't catch the tent on fire--thinking they are wonderful especially since they pack up so nice..Just interesting to me but I bet that fire feels good on a cold cold night and under the stars with a friend--I can picture it--hoping you have a soft bed too...clancey

I've been considering a tent with a stove pipe jack for a few years now. The seem like a nice option for ice fishing too. If anyone has suggestions for a good tent with a jack, I'm all ears.

There is a stove jack panel that probably keeps the pipe 4” off the nylon where it passes through.C48C4A51-817B-47CF-AC22-8F485359707C.jpeg

It’s an Luxe mini peak XL. You can’t stand in this one, but they have some big ones that you can. Look up Luxe. Search “hot tents” for other brands as well.

I have two bell tents with stove jacks from amazon I've used for the past few years. One is a 5m/16ft and the other is a 6m/20ft. 285gsm canvas w/ pvc floors, they are ok if you are setting up base camp or sledding/utv'ing the tent in. About 90 and 120lbs, respectively. I like the bells for ease of setup vs. wall tents when you start going larger, plus they have less wall area per square foot of floor area which helps.

The first time I, somewhat hesitantly, went winter camping with guide friends I was happily amazed that in zero temps you could sit comfortably in shirtsleeves in the stove heated wall tents. In addition to stove tips it may be helpful to know that when the stove goes out that generating internal heat helps with sleeping comfort. That meant leaving ideas of a light on fat diet behind. Fatback cookies for desert were routine. We traveled by snowshoe mostly and easily on snow covered frozen streams hauling ample supplies on light, narrow, flexible, hand built toboggans. Warmer temps really limit that ability to travel by stream in those same places now