Can’t figure out Serenity

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mikkeeh

Feeling the Heat
Dec 7, 2011
NE Ohio
Haven’t figured out the auger feed system on my Serenity yet. It makes no sense. On “manual” ....ie the stat should have no effect...Running on level 1.....I get a burn time of anywhere from a high of 20.5 hrs, to a low of 10.5 hrs. Same brand of pellets......same pallet. I contacted Ardisam, changed the controller and the board.....still no rhyme nor reason to the burn times. Last week I got 20+ hrs, with the outside temps of around 30. Last night I had temp in the teens...Filled the stoved at 8PM. This morning at 7, I had about 5 or 6 cups of pellets left. Am I the only one?

I would be curious to know what your control panel reads for temperature at the stove. I have not hooked any external controls up to any of my stoves, but if I plug in any device to my home pc, the computer knows it is there. I wonder if even though you are running it on manual, if you have an external control hooked up, if there is some sort of interference? Can you severe the connection to the external controller easy?

I would be curious to know what your control panel reads for temperature at the stove. I have not hooked any external controls up to any of my stoves, but if I plug in any device to my home pc, the computer knows it is there. I wonder if even though you are running it on manual, if you have an external control hooked up, if there is some sort of interference? Can you severe the connection to the external controller easy?

I don’t have any “accessory “ thermostat.” Just the one built into the control pane. But it does seem to NOT be a manual thing. It came with a hand held remote.....but Ive never used it.
I might try unplugging the temp probe from the board......maybe ...somehow...its over riding the “manual” setting?

Last edited:
Reactions: Deezl Smoke
I'm new here, but also installed a serenity this year. Mine is pretty consistent closer to your top end. It may have something to do with your piping. mine has a 8' vertical stack and no OAK yet. It could be that gusts of wind are making it burn faster some days? Also what voltage are your fan speeds at? If it was set to temp it would kick the stove to level one after it reaches the temp anyway. So unless its ramping it up to 2 or 3, I doubt its the thermo

Reactions: Deezl Smoke
I'm new here, but also installed a serenity this year. Mine is pretty consistent closer to your top end. It may have something to do with your piping. mine has a 8' vertical stack and no OAK yet. It could be that gusts of wind are making it burn faster some days? Also what voltage are your fan speeds at? If it was set to temp it would kick the stove to level one after it reaches the temp anyway. So unless its ramping it up to 2 or 3, I doubt its the thermo

This is a good point about the OAK and outside air influence. I did not think about that, but that is one attribute the stove and operator have little influence over. I do not have oaks installed on my stoves either. House is plenty drafty, so they get all the air they need without me suffering. Also I have some vertical piping outside that has actually worked when the power went out. The warm vertical piping kept a draw going and no smoke entered the house.

Could be the pellets. There could be odd/bad bags in the same batch.

What pellets you using and where they from?

I don’t understand how wind or draft would make it burn faster. At level 1, the auger speed/rotation is supposed to be set. The auger doesn’t know if its windy out..or if the pellets are burning fast or slow. It just knows to rotate every x seconds.

Could be the pellets. There could be odd/bad bags in the same batch.

What pellets you using and where they from?

Somerset from local hardware. Been burning them all season in both my Serenity and P43. Nothing different about how the P43 burns.

I don’t understand how wind or draft would make it burn faster. At level 1, the auger speed/rotation is supposed to be set. The auger doesn’t know if its windy out..or if the pellets are burning fast or slow. It just knows to rotate every x seconds.

Like you mentioned earlier, can the temp thermocouple be causing issues with the "heat" settings on manual? If the stove is reading temp somehow, and the wind currents around an oak inlet cause either a vacuum or a pressure, I cant help but think that would effect the burn rate respectively?