Can’t seem to move heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AbrK

Mar 9, 2017
Ontario
My wood stove is located in my living room witch has 12 foot ceilings a 5 foot wide door way leading into the dinning room and kitchen the stove room can be 30 Celsius while the dinning room kitchen is say 20 I have tried everything to get the heat out I’ve used small fans on the floor blowing cold air in there is a creaking fan in both rooms I have used them both in both directions I have door way fans I’ve tried those and nothing seems to really change the temperature any ideas ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe it was @BrotherBart who's profile used to say something to the effect of "I know a wood stove is simply a space heater, but the space I want to heat is my house!."

Some home have natural convection and things move around well, others simply do not. Also, how's the insulation in the home? If the further reaches from the stove aren't insulated well, and you have these huge ceiling to work with, it's a tough battle.

pen

Oh the house is over a hundred years old so I can’t imagine there much insulation if any I drilled a few holes threw exterior walls in the summer to run some wires and there was saw dust and old new papers between them lol

Reactions: pen
Cold air being denser that hot is easier to move. Take a look at your layout and see if there is any way to create a loop of air current. For stand off rooms you need to blow the cold air out of them. The hot air at the ceiling will naturally replace it. These are the best “methods” but does not guarantee success.

Ya I’ve tried fans on the floor blowing into the stove room seems to work ok until the temps really drop then all you feel is a cool breeze in the stove room with minimal heat going back out

Well you wont be pressurizing the room which means if you blow cold in, something has to come out. With high ceilings is it possible that you are stratisfying the air. Hot stays on top, cold on the bottom? If so, you need to figure out how to mix that air.

Ya I’ve tried fans on the floor blowing into the stove room seems to work ok until the temps really drop then all you feel is a cool breeze in the stove room with minimal heat going back out

What wood stove do you have in your living room? Do you have a central forced air furnace with ductwork that runs on propane or natural gas, or do you have a boiler with wall tube or radiators?

I assume creaking fan is ceiling fan? I know you've tried everything but just try this for about 60 minutes. Try a floor fan on low blowing cold air into the stove room and the ceiling fan in the stove room running in reverse on medium or even high. Leave the ceiling fans in the other rooms off. Since the stove room has high ceilings and my guess is that quite a bit of heat is just rising up there, you need to get that heat to come down the walls with the ceiling fan so that it can exit through the doorway.

Yes ceiling fan lol sorry and ok I’ll try that I’ve tried the fan in reverse on low with minimal change I’ll try it on medium and high and see what happens tons of heat sits up top of the ceiling so getting it down is a big challenge

Too many fans. I did that in my beginning trials and too many fans cools the air way too much. Use one very small floor fan and it takes time to move the air and you have to keep up on having that wood stove hot.

The best you can do is spray foam your walls and seal them up. I have been doing that oil by lol over the last 4 years and its working.

High ceilings on the conjoined rooms probably doesn’t help either

Yes ceiling fan lol sorry and ok I’ll try that I’ve tried the fan in reverse on low with minimal change I’ll try it on medium and high and see what happens tons of heat sits up top of the ceiling so getting it down is a big challenge

No worries. Yes, your ultimate challenge is the high ceilings. Even try putting the floor fan to the inside part of the doorway so that heat coming down along the outside walls has a way to escape on the outside of the doorway. Essentially think about it with the doorway divided into quarters. The bottom inside quarter is for moving cold air, the other 3 quarters are for moving hot air.