Can 6" pipe go into 7"pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rich L

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 25, 2008
Eastern,Ma.
g-mail.com
My brother is planning to put in a stove.I have 7" all fuel pipe that he can have.His stove will use 6" pipe.Will it be a problem if he vents into my 7" all fuel.If not it'll save him from having a big bill.

What condition is the all fuel pipe?
Have a 7" flue for a 6" appliance isn't that big of deal if you have a longer run, yes its more volume but if your +20ft and limit 90's it shouldn't be a deal breaker.
What needs to be determined is route of chimney and having the correct brackets, flashing, boxes. If your going to do a straight run from the stove collar then you'll want the correct ceiling support box, if your going out the wall then you'll want the proper through the wall kit, chimney T, plate, ext.
There will be a reducer that will need to be from the all fuel to your black pipe, limit 90deg bend by using (2) 45deg elbows

What condition is the all fuel pipe?
Have a 7" flue for a 6" appliance isn't that big of deal if you have a longer run, yes its more volume but if your +20ft and limit 90's it shouldn't be a deal breaker.
What needs to be determined is route of chimney and having the correct brackets, flashing, boxes. If your going to do a straight run from the stove collar then you'll want the correct ceiling support box, if your going out the wall then you'll want the proper through the wall kit, chimney T, plate, ext.
There will be a reducer that will need to be from the all fuel to your black pipe, limit 90deg bend by using (2) 45deg elbows
Thanks for your reply.The pipe is used but in excellent shape.Can it be used inside to go thru the building and thru the roof ?

It may be ok, but only if the chimney pipe is class A 2100ºHT chimney. Some all fuel pipe is not rated at a lower temp and is not acceptable. Is there a label or rating tag on the chimney pipe?

It may be ok, but only if the chimney pipe is class A 2100ºHT chimney. Some all fuel pipe is not rated at a lower temp and is not acceptable. Is there a label or rating tag on the chimney pipe?
It's the older version of all fuel Hart & Cooley pipe.I see nothing written on the pipe.

Hard to say, it could be 1700HT.