Can a Cawley 800 be successfully completely ,rebuilt by a guy with no stove experience and a bad back?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Superdave444

Oct 7, 2022
St Louis, MO
I ran across this site Yesterday when I was looking wether to paint or use stone polish for the refinish . I found the stove on FB Marketplace for free from a very nice old home being rehabbed. It was so heavy we took it apart to get it transported. I started on it last week using a drill and wire wheel to clean followed by wiping down with denatured alcohol, then a coat of Meeco’s black stove polish. So far so good. I finished the 4 doors first and am now on the backside panel hooked on to the 2 side panels. This is how far we had to get the weight down to a manageable number.I’m starting to be concerned about getting all the seams correctly sealed.
How do i know what size rope to buy and do I need to use flat rope in some areas?
I also am starting to wonder how to move it around once I start putting it back together?
Any advice is greatly appreciated, I’ll try to add pics
405FE6E1-EDD4-4AE7-92B3-99F36CDD843E.jpeg
3170F9C1-A2DA-450C-8C2E-F52428951207.jpeg AB9D75A4-A363-4D97-ABCA-C935F876D24C.jpeg C717DF26-F737-48E2-98DC-4901AED30E4E.jpeg 1ABFC640-1C7D-4C2A-ABB4-02F6874EE02E.jpeg 39A7F9E7-53C1-43C8-82E2-26D1C748DE55.jpeg image.jpg 4019A936-CD1C-4DB6-AA6E-B97353AAF180.jpeg A8473CCF-3953-457D-8EBA-B57C0C302870.jpeg 26375CA1-D8B1-40A1-8291-38D91B076998.jpeg DE579864-663F-47F9-807E-5464B3227026.jpeg 1A2C02A9-D836-4603-B9D9-3AC2266AC061.jpeg image.jpg

For starters, I'd start over and sandblast the stove polish off.

Reactions: Superdave444
The stove polish is wax based. Use a strong solvent like toluene or xylene in a well-ventilated area to remove it before it sees heat and bakes in. Then steel wool and/wire brush. Clean of all dust, wipe down with alcohol, and then paint with Stove Brite metallic or satin black using light coats.

The reassembly is not rocket science, @D. Hermit can help you with the gaskets and steps.

I have never rebuilt an 800 but a few 600s and 400s they all used cement in the joints not gaskets

Im going to be honest. You're in for a challenge. But anyone can do it, it's just a matter of how good you are at problem solving problems when you run into them. And well, basic stove knowledge goes a long way too. Just knowing how a stove is supposed to draft internally and work makes a difference.

There is not exploded diagram that I know of for the 500/550/800. So I hope you took lots of pictures when you took it apart. It only goes back together one way.

It uses furnace cement in the channels, and make sure to assemble to stove completely for a “dry fit” with no cement first. That way you will see if you have any fit issues to worry about, and that you have it put back together in the right order. The last thing you want is to take apart pieces that you cemented together, its just a mess and it wont seal properly.

I also hope your baffle is in good shape, baffle alone is almost $600 with shipping. I may be able to get you a slightly better deal if you need it.

Reactions: bholler
After a long weekend of removing stove polish and painting, I’m baffled on how to fit these 3 pieces. I’ll call em 1 (rectangle flat plate with grooves) then 2 (big plate with half circle) and 3 (side vent)..
what order do they go in?
Do i have to take sides off to fit 2 in?
Do i have the flat triangle supports in the right place?
Are the grooves on 2 to align bricks, or do they face down?
Also was wondering if I should paint the inside?
Any advice is greatly appreciated!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Im going to be honest. You're in for a challenge. But anyone can do it, it's just a matter of how good you are at problem solving problems when you run into them. And well, basic stove knowledge goes a long way too. Just knowing how a stove is supposed to draft internally and work makes a difference.

There is not exploded diagram that I know of for the 500/550/800. So I hope you took lots of pictures when you took it apart. It only goes back together one way.

It uses furnace cement in the channels, and make sure to assemble to stove completely for a “dry fit” with no cement first. That way you will see if you have any fit issues to worry about, and that you have it put back together in the right order. The last thing you want is to take apart pieces that you cemented together, its just a mess and it wont seal properly.

I also hope your baffle is in good shape, baffle alone is almost $600 with shipping. I may be able to get you a slightly better deal if you need it.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Reactions: D. Hermit

I just realized I have this thin sheet not sure bout it either

image.jpg

It’s fitting good without this piece (2)

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Summary: After a long night, I got it together but have a couple extra pieces. I got this thin sheet and also the biggest piece with a half circle, im stumped on wheee they belong…..

image.jpg image.jpg

Thanks for the spec sheet! Should I paint the inside or just clean?
If it is going to sit unused for very long painting inside isn't a bad idea. But if it will be used in the next season or 2 I wouldn't bother

I think this is too nice to use in my garage. How much do you think it might be worth?
The market is good right now even for just backyard restorations like this. Ideally you could get upwards of 1000-1500.

Eta- thats if you were in the North East. I have no clue what you could get in MO. I would start listing it high and see what interest you get.

The market is good right now even for just backyard restorations like this. Ideally you could get upwards of 1000-1500.

Eta- thats if you were in the North East. I have no clue what you could get in MO. I would start listing it high and see what interest you get.
I fired it up last night , no cement or sealant and it worked great.i need to find a couple of the 8” lid covers. I was amazed how much heat you get when you don’t lose anything up a chimney. The 4 doors make it super easy to reach any part of the huge inside. I have a detached single level garage that is 2 car lengths long with a concrete floor, single door on one end and garage door on the opposite end. I can either take the pipe straight up or out the side wall. I found a $100 deal on marketplace for a variety of flu pipes and plan on getting tomorrow. Who would I contact to help me design/build chimney?a? eBay and crabgrass are the only 2 I know of for advertising? I enclosed a bunch of pics

03C5D8C6-FC5C-4AAA-A17B-CEC5BCE0B277.jpeg E58A48B6-AF98-433B-830C-B4681140F0FC.jpeg F832BCC5-E455-48F8-BBD8-8D913C0C3CC2.jpeg C55C814A-C03C-4CD6-88BE-FA281641B15C.jpeg DD0CFD1E-1FE6-4554-ACD3-01A909332ACB.jpeg 9945A7E9-84BF-4912-8682-9C1810D00E6A.jpeg B2C80615-459A-4FB3-8E5C-7765BFB54248.jpeg

…..but you are taking it apart again to cement it now right?

And are you just burning it in your garage? No stove pipe? Nothing?

…..but you are taking it apart again to cement it now right?

And are you just burning it in your garage? No stove pipe? Nothing?
Yes im going to take it apart for cement, i put a screen over the exhaust to keep any big ember’s from flying out, and used the front shelf(tray) to cover the lid opening’s. Had both doors open, it smoke initially but then wasn’t bad once it go going’s I cleaned all the ash out and blew it out with a leaf blower then wiped down with a towel. I also pulled the race car outta the garage just in case. Kept an eye on it till completely out with hose within reach

Attachments

• IMG_4031.MOV
    15.7 MB
Yes im going to take it apart for cement, i put a screen over the exhaust to keep any big ember’s from flying out, and used the front shelf(tray) to cover the lid opening’s. Had both doors open, it smoke initially but then wasn’t bad once it go going’s I cleaned all the ash out and blew it out with a leaf blower then wiped down with a towel. I also pulled the race car outta the garage just in case. Kept an eye on it till completely out with hose within reach
I had a good box fan at each room end pointed outward. Once it caught i closed the stove doors and smoke was eliminated.

Dude has a rippin fire going in a woodstove inside a garage, with NO flue, with a sofa and at least two overstuffed chairs next to it - LMFAO!! As a firefighter, I thank you for a lifetime of job security, and the next generation that I've been honored to help train, thanks you too, I'm sure!

Reactions: bholler