Can anyone explain this to me

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jgib4

Dec 31, 2017
Maryland
so I’m assuming when starting a fire it adds more air, but is there a benefit to using it after the fact. (Automatic draft control)

Attachments

• 8E57095A-C82E-4A00-9BB8-A06DA057159B.jpeg
    8E57095A-C82E-4A00-9BB8-A06DA057159B.jpeg
    56.7 KB · Views: 158
bi-metallic spring mechanism that opens and closes air inlet dependent on furnance/stove temperature. Can work well as in BlazeKing stoves, can be unreliable as in Hot Blast wood furnaces (so I've heard). If it works reliably, yes there is an advantage - My 30NC would benefit greatly as the air needs to be opened more during the later stages of the fire.

bi-metallic spring mechanism that opens and closes air inlet dependent on furnance/stove temperature. Can work well as in BlazeKing stoves, can be unreliable as in Hot Blast wood furnaces (so I've heard). If it works reliably, yes there is an advantage - My 30NC would benefit greatly as the air needs to be opened more during the later stages of the fire.

How much do you typically open it and how far into the burn

How much do you typically open it and how far into the burn

Not having the manual to refer to I would do this: Set to High to start the fire and get it established, then start dialing it down towards low and check to see if it's maintaining some active flame in the box, we don't want to shut it down too far and smolder the load. Then observe the burn and monitor flue temps, I like to stay under 600F and typically during the cruise part of the burn my furnace will be 300-400F. The biggest thing is to get a feel for how the control is working, that means babysitting until you are comfortable that it is working as intended. I know some Hot Blast furnace owners have reported this type of control sticking wide open resulting in a over fire situation

Not having the manual to refer to I would do this: Set to High to start the fire and get it established, then start dialing it down towards low and check to see if it's maintaining some active flame in the box, we don't want to shut it down too far and smolder the load. Then observe the burn and monitor flue temps, I like to stay under 600F and typically during the cruise part of the burn my furnace will be 300-400F. The biggest thing is to get a feel for how the control is working, that means babysitting until you are comfortable that it is working as intended. I know some Hot Blast furnace owners have reported this type of control sticking wide open resulting in a over fire situation

I’ve never used it other than to start the fire. I always use the spin dial to keep active flames. I definitely can see how it would be easy to stick open

I’ve never used it other than to start the fire. I always use the spin dial to keep active flames. I definitely can see how it would be easy to stick open

Not sure where the spin dial should be set to use the thermostatic control. Refer to the manual I guess.