Q&A Can Class-A chimney be mounted against side of building?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I want to install a stove in a room where there is no chimney. My home has a flat roof, and a 12" "hip" at the top 5' of the side elevation.

Can a class-A chimney be mounted against the building, and have a pair of 45 degree elbows installed to make the "jog" of about 12" ?

Would this have much effect on my draft? The entire chimney would be around 20'.

Answer:

Yes, you can mount the chimney to the outside of the building. You can offset the chimney with 30 degree offsets. Keep in mind that all offsets must be supported either at the offset or directly above them. If you are going to have 20' of chimney, I doubt that the offsets will have much effect on your draw.

What will have the most effect will be running the chimney up the outside of the house. When you first start a fire, the chimney will be cold and getting it started initially, could be difficult. Once it warms up it should draw fine. You might want to consider running the chimney up inside the house, if that's possible or enclosing the outside chimney in a chase (enclosure).

Take a look at this link. It has further links that will answer most questions about your chimney:

www.hearth.com/what/chimney.html

Status
Not open for further replies.