Can Horizontal Termination Cap Be Used to Terminate Vertically??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scubaryan

Feb 21, 2016
Edmonton
Hi Guys!

I have a majestic fireplace I just purchased. It came with a horizontal termination but my fireplace will be venting out vertically.
Do you think I can use the horizontal termination cap to vent it out of the roof vertically?

Please note it is a colinear system (4"x6") that direct vents. So there is a smaller pipe inside of a larger pipe (one sucks in cold air and the other vents it back out).

Thank you in advance for your expertise!

You will probably have multple issues using the horizontal cap in a vertical position.
The caps are designed so the intake is LOWER then the exhaust. If you turn the
horizontal to the vertical position, you will be allowing oxygen depleted air into the
intake side & the fire will starve for oxygen & extinguish itself within a short period of time.
A side-effect of that O2 depleted combustion air is sooting. Carbon (soot) can build up
on EVERYTHING in the firebox.
Another issue will be precipitation. The vertical caps are designed to prevent any rain or snow
penetration.
Buy a vertical cap & you shouldn't have any issues.

What you described is coaxial, not colinear. The vertical termination caps are a bit cheaper than the horizontal type. You really should install it as prescribed for the reasons above.

You will probably have multple issues using the horizontal cap in a vertical position.
The caps are designed so the intake is LOWER then the exhaust. If you turn the
horizontal to the vertical position, you will be allowing oxygen depleted air into the
intake side & the fire will starve for oxygen & extinguish itself within a short period of time.
A side-effect of that O2 depleted combustion air is sooting. Carbon (soot) can build up
on EVERYTHING in the firebox.
Another issue will be precipitation. The vertical caps are designed to prevent any rain or snow
penetration.
Buy a vertical cap & you shouldn't have any issues.

Thank you, I will take your advice. I have decided to terminate horizontally so I can use my existing termination cap and return the coaxial 25ft length I bought. Again, thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.