Can/how I patch this hole in my fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Plachelli

Jan 23, 2016
DC
There is a symmetrical 1.5 inch diameter hole in the side wall of my prefab fireplace I have been told was used for a gas line. I do not know what what the wall is made of. Is there any way I can properly patch or fill this hole? Thank you.

Attachments

• 1453531631180-343474627.jpg
    1453531631180-343474627.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 350
Stuff it with ceramic wool insulation mostly full, then fill the remainder of the hole with furnace cement. Your local hearth shop should have what you need. You can get the cement in a Caulking tube.

There is a symmetrical 1.5 inch diameter hole in the side wall of my prefab fireplace I have been told was used for a gas line. I do not know what what the wall is made of. Is there any way I can properly patch or fill this hole? Thank you.
What we do is pull the panel out and cover the hole in the sheet metal first then lay the panel flat with tape on the back side. Then mix up some refractory cement and fill the hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.