Can I burn wood with nails in it.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

guest5234

Hearth Supporter
Might sound a daft question, but I have knocked down a stud wall in my old house and have a ton of pine with nails embedded that will be a bugger to remove, can I burn the wood in my new Jotul with the nails still in it?

Cheers.

A lot of people burn wood with nails and get the nails out with a magnet before disposing of the ashes.

I'd be a lot more concerned about the wood itself. Dimensional pine lumber will burn very fast so I'd be careful and use only a small amount in each fire.

Yes, just be remember that there are nails there before you dispose of the ashes.

I've burned wood with nails in it without any negative results...even back when I had a stove with grates I was worried the nails would melt and mess up the grates, but it didn't happen.

I throw large chunks of pallets right into my kiln. Even after reaching almost 2400 F, the nails are not melted and are recoverable with a good magnet. They may oxidize a bit, but that's no biggie.

I bet if you had a coal stove nails would melt...just say'en and not a post whore.

Neil said:
Might sound a daft question, but I have knocked down a stud wall in my old house and have a ton of pine with nails embedded that will be a bugger to remove, can I burn the wood in my new Jotul with the nails still in it?

Cheers.

Not to be the fun governor...but if you got a cat stove the owners manual will say it's a no-no. My guess is that some of the various coatings can wizz off the catalyst (like burning leaded fuel in your car...catalysts don't like it). If it's a non-cat stove...burn away. Just don't heat it up too quickly with the pine...or over fire it.

Burn away. Most of us dont realized how many nails and bullets we burn...Never had a problem with either. As long as you keep your chimney clean you can burn any wood. Well, I draw the line at Christmas trees. These have been known to start many a chimney fire. And stay away from TSP. But some approved chemicals are easy on your pipes and also loosen creosote of the hard glass variety. Use these just before cleaning. For example Cre-Away....A trick of lots of of chimney sweeps...

I just dump the ashes out in the woods after they have sat for many months in a metal barrel to make sure there are no embers. The iron nails will rust away over time anyhow.

You don't have to wait many months ...only perhaps 24 hours or double that. Insert your bare hand into the barrel of ashes and procede accordingly. With Mum in the chipper we had to wait a full 2 weeks as she grunted and snarled at every passing movement.

Status
Not open for further replies.