Can I cut off the decorative rails on the front cover of my gas fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

29palms29

Mar 26, 2023
Canada
I have a fairly old (approx 20 years old) Napoleon gas fireplace (GDS/CDV S60) and there're so many decorative rails on the front cover that it hides most of the flames. Can I cut some of the rails off and then sand the cuts smooth? (see pics attached).

GAS FIREPLACE.jpeg FIREPLACE FRONT COVER cuts.jpeg

As long as those rails are not used to support or secure the ceramic glass in the stove, cutting them out shouldn’t affect the function or safety the unit.

Thanks, Bob. No, the rails aren't supporting anything. Do you know what material the cover is made of? What saw blade should I use to make the cuts?

Most likely cast iron. It is used for decorative fronts & can be easily cut with a hacksaw unless it’s porcelain coated. You’re gonna need an abrasive wheel & a grinder in that case. I’d probably go with the grinder either way…Good luck!