Can I Get Rid of Metal Face Plate?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

yooper08

Minister of Fire
Jan 4, 2016
South Lyon, MI
Thinking about refacing my 1970s brick fireplace with stone veneer and got to wondering. Can I can get rid of my insert's metal surround (ugly thing) by effectively making the fireplace opening smaller with some cement board and have the veneer over that? Would be using real stone, not manufactured stuff, and would make it meet minimum opening requirements. Any issues or things to consider in doing something like this?

I know I could just remove it but I'd rather not have the eyesore of the old fireplace.

Can you share a picture of the fireplace?

It's a 39x30 opening, minimum required is 28.875x23.375. The insert is 27x22.5.

Attachments

• IMG_2893.JPG
    IMG_2893.JPG
    157.7 KB · Views: 603
If you ever needed to pull the insert for repairs it would be nearly impossible with such tight clearances. Can the surround be cut down so it’s not so large? Many can be cut to fit.

Reactions: bholler
If you ever needed to pull the insert for repairs it would be nearly impossible with such tight clearances. Can the surround be cut down so it’s not so large? Many can be cut to fit.
My thoughts exactly

That's one of things that ran across my mind - getting it out when the time comes. In your guys' experience, how much play do you like to see to make it manageable to pull an insert out? I wouldn't plan on bringing the opening right down to minimums, just gave those as reference. I'd have to get some cardboard templates going to see how close I'd need to bring it in to the point where you can't see the old fireplace walls or the flue collar from most of the vantage points, unless say you're right there looking in.

The surround didn't come as cutable as some do, but it can be cut, however, I'd rather not go that route as I still have the ugly there. It may not look as bad though after the veneer goes up, depending on what we decide to go with. The other idea was just finding some sort of aftermarket one that fits (if that even exists) or have one made up.

Looks like a good spot for a rear exit free standing stove.

I cut my surround and it came out pretty nice. I covered the cut edges with some stainless steel edge trim I found online. The stone veneer will bring the facing out and the cut surround should fit up nice with the back lip cut off.

It's a 39x30 opening, minimum required is 28.875x23.375. The insert is 27x22.5.
I have nearly the same setup. I'd want to leave as much room as possible so you can get it out like webby and bholler said.

I bought the surround that went with the insert and I don't even use it, it's sitting in the box in the corner. If you were my neighbor, I'd either give it or sell it to you at a steep discount from retail (depending on which neighbor).

The stone veneer idea sounds good. I'm thinking of doing the same eventually.

Looks like a good spot for a rear exit free standing stove.

Perhaps, but not an option anytime soon.

webby & bholler, how much space do you guys like to have to pull inserts out though? With that concern, just wondering if this idea is even an option.

I cut my surround and it came out pretty nice. I covered the cut edges with some stainless steel edge trim I found online. The stone veneer will bring the facing out and the cut surround should fit up nice with the back lip cut off.

That may work, finding some trim to do that. Agreed, the veneer, depending on the style we choose, could help the surround not seem as ugly.

I have nearly the same setup. I'd want to leave as much room as possible so you can get it out like webby and bholler said.

I bought the surround that went with the insert and I don't even use it, it's sitting in the box in the corner. If you were my neighbor, I'd either give it or sell it to you at a steep discount from retail (depending on which neighbor).

The stone veneer idea sounds good. I'm thinking of doing the same eventually.

I'd at least give you something for it if we were neighbors. The stone veneer is just a part of the plan. The brick and hearth extend the rest of the wall to the left, planning on building built in shelves and entertainment center over that way. We're wanting to make the room the insert is in the hang out spot instead of just a room in a basement.

There could be very little on the sides, I like 3”-4” above the insert though. With stone veneer, I’d be concerned with stone adhesion, considering it’s so close to the heat.

Got it. Could something like the Rutland fireplace mortar work in this type of application? Even if I don't narrow the opening, thinking it might be a good idea to use something like that right around the opening. Or does enough heat dissipate at that point that it's not necessary?

The surround isn't a functional item. Its just covers the opening to make it look "better" to some people though I don't think it looks better at all. Only functional things to keep heat in the house is a blockoff plate on the top of the chimney, or a block off plate right above the stove where the damper was, or both.

I like your brick hearth, I know that's not what you're asking but I thought I'd throw it out there some people might think it looks pretty good... Stone veneer is nice as well, though. I do agree, however, that a large surround around your insert is not attractive.

Back in the old days a surround was a necessary sealing point for slammer installs. They are no longer allowed. For most installations the surround is decorative trim and can be left off.

One option that might be worth considering would be to attach an angle iron frame, inset a few inches around the inside perimeter of the current opening. Then a black painted sheet metal panel could be attached to the angle iron.

That's a good idea, hadn't considered that one.
The panel would be removable if needed for service. Use black screws to attach.

Right. That idea just opened up a bunch of design possibilities, thanks again. We currently like a black/charcoal stacked stone veneer. Using the metal frame, could even use something like antiqued copper to break from all of the black. Or maybe just reface the surround with the copper.

I've used expanded metal painted black to make an insert look "built in" ,easily removed for service if necessary.

Sorry, it was in a house we moved out of.