Can I install an Oak on any stove......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DamienBricka

Feeling the Heat
Nov 3, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
I am the proud owner of a CFM-FW240007. I noticed yesterday that I could feel cold air moving around in my house. I checked no windows or outside doors were opened and my little stove was cruising around 450F.
I was wondering is it possible to install and OAK on this stove. I am aware there are no opening for one.
I am also aware that the secondaries have an access to the outside of the stove by a 1.5x1.5 square opening.
Could I attach the OAK to that? Or should I forget the idea?
Any suggestions or comments are welcome

Forget it and seal up that leaky air. Check the basement rim joist and sill for leaks to start with.

Reactions: DamienBricka
Forget it and seal up that leaky air. Check the basement rim joist and sill for leaks to start with.

That is what I thought so I will start hunting down air leaks. Thanks begreen for your valuable insight

Is your house 2 story? With basement? As you heat, the hot air rises and cold drafty air is pulled in at the lower areas of your house. Called the stack effect. Air sealing up high and down low will help reduce drafts. Like begreen said, seal the rim joists. But be careful. If you only seal air leaks down low, combustion appliances like gas water heaters and other gas appliances can be starved for air and backdraft CO. So you want to make a plan of attack in the attic as well. Caulk and foam where any dissimilar materials meet. Ceiling electrical light boxes to drywall or plaster, plumbing and electrical penetrations, etc. Google stack effect and start reading.

I should add that it's very unlikely you would cause problems air sealing only in the basement, as older homes leak air everywhere and getting all those leaks is impossible. But thought I should mention it. If you're house is newer and reasonably built then you need to be more balanced in your approach.

The house was built around 1940 from a mark I saw in the concrete in the basement. I had it sprayed with open cell foam about 10 years ago.
I guess some leaked will always happen. Per my electric company I am having an audit at their expense sometime next year. So we will see then what the blower door test shows

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.