Can I mix single and double wall connector pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Retired

May 13, 2014
Northern Maine
Hi Team Hearth

I just bought a Woodstock Ideal Steel wood stove. We have a newer house (2005)with a double flue clay lined chimney. The available flue thimble is exactly 13 inches from the exposed ceiling trusses. I obviously did not take that into consideration before I started to plan/purchase my stove. I am away most of the time and do a lot of ordering while I am away (bored). It is not necessarily the best way to improve the old homestead.

I've spent the last two days reading threads and other internet articles and can't really find a fix that works.

From what I read, I have two options. One is to install a 1 inch ventilated space and the other is to use double wall connector pipe. I believe that the double wall connector pipe would be superior, but I want to be able to look at the pipe temp and believe that the double wall would prevent this. If I need to be educated, I make a good student. Just tell me where to study.

On the ventilated space, it would be tight with only 13 inches to play with and I haven't found any diagrams that show how you would create the space with venting on a ceiling. There is plenty of wall ventilated air space diagrams and explanations but a real lack for ceiling diagrams.
On the double wall thought, I can only find one company that makes a double wall to masonry adapter. It is the metal best DSP6MA. Can I use it and other double wall components but, somehow transition into a single wall before I get to the stove so that I can still look at my flue temp?

A little more info on the system. The wood stove is in my basement next to my oil boiler. They are parked on a back concrete wall. The wood stove is 16 inches from the boiler, but could be moved or a heat shield added if this is a concern (haven't found anything on this either).

Thanks in advance for any help

If you do end up sticking with single wall then a ceiling heat shield is done like a wall shield. Metal or cement board on 1" spacers extending 8" past the outside of the pipe. There are also stove pipe shields for straight and elbow sections.

The double wall is a better pipe anyways. The air gap is an insulator so flue temps stay warmer, the inner wall is stainless steel so it will last forever, I think it looks better, and of course the increased safety of shielding the high temperature inner pipe.

You've got a very nice stove with high efficiency. Flue temps will be low by design so you want to keep them as warm as possible with a nice double wall flue system.

No idea how to hook to masonry. I tend to rip those things down and use pipe all the way to the cap.

The double wall is a better pipe anyways. The air gap is an insulator so flue temps stay warmer, the inner wall is stainless steel so it will last forever, I think it looks better, and of course the increased safety of shielding the high temperature inner pipe.

You've got a very nice stove with high efficiency. Flue temps will be low by design so you want to keep them as warm as possible with a nice double wall flue system.

No idea how to hook to masonry. I tend to rip those things down and use pipe all the way to the cap.

Thanks for the replys Begreen and Highbeam. You are both speaking what I already knew to be true. I might have had a bit of a "cut corners" thought going on. I will order the double wall today, The house is out in the sticks in Maine without a lot of retail support. Where would you suggest that I get the thermometer for the double wall and how do I install it? Do I just drill a hole? If that is the case, I can install the pipe while I am waiting for the thermometer. I will probably not be firing it up for another month as I will be traveling again on Tuesday and double if the connector pipe will arrive.
Thanks again

Thanks for the replys Begreen and Highbeam. You are both speaking what I already knew to be true. I might have had a bit of a "cut corners" thought going on. I will order the double wall today, The house is out in the sticks in Maine without a lot of retail support. Where would you suggest that I get the thermometer for the double wall and how do I install it? Do I just drill a hole? If that is the case, I can install the pipe while I am waiting for the thermometer. I will probably not be firing it up for another month as I will be traveling again on Tuesday and double if the connector pipe will arrive.
Thanks again

Installing the flue probe meter is really easy. You do it after installing the pipe on the stove since you need to locate the probe a specific distance above the stove top. It is not required to operate your stove but I really recommend having it.

The most common meter is sold by Condar and it comes with directions. You will need a drill and two sizes of bit. Order it right from Condar.

http://www.condar.com/Probe_Thermometers.html