Can I put gas insert into wood burning Heatilator HB42A1?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cinderellaNJ

Dec 1, 2023
NJ
We have a wood burning Heatilator from 1996 that we rarely use (HB42A1) and finally want to get a gas insert. Is the heatilator considered a wood insert? Is the whole thing going to have to be demolished including the marble surround and hearth (floor level hearth-not raised). I was so excited until I realized they are huge compared to the size of the firebox I see. Can the front just sort of be cut out? Was hoping to spend under 5k and probably get a heat-n-glo mid level. I'm in New Jersey. Thanks.

fireplace living room.jpg

If you have the manual for your zero-clearance wood burning fire place (not an insert), it may tell you if it’s approved for a gas insert & what you can or cannot remove if it IS approved. If you choose an insert & Heatilator says it’s ok, you should not have to change any part of your surround (I. e. stone or mantle).

It doesn't mention inserts in the installation & operating instructions.. it does mention gas logs. Photo of section attached.