can i run 15A chainsaw on 3500W generator?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Should be fine if it's 3500 running watts, and not surge watts. No problem.

Reactions: dougand3
Watts = amps x volts.
Watts = 15 x 120
Watts = 1800

Yup, i do it from time to time, to exercise the generator so it works when I need it

If it's a 220/110 generator don't forget that you only have HALF of the listed wattage available on a single 110 leg. IE, a 3500 continuous watt 220V generator only produces 1750 watts on a single 110 circuit.

That being said, the likelihood that you'll actually be maxing out the power draw on the chainsaw is low. Just take it easy and don't try to rush the saw through the cut.

Yes. Infact you could probably run 2 electric chainsaws on that wattage. I have a 2100 watt small inverter generator and run a 15amp electric pole saw on it no problem. It hardly causes the inverter to come off idle speeds at first trigger pull and once the saw starts it returns to just above idle speeds. Compared to my space heater which sends the generator to max rpm.