Can I run a pipe up this Chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Samcanadian

Nov 12, 2019
Winnipeg, Canada
Hi All,

I've been lurking for a few days, reading as much as I can and trying to get an answer that would help me move in the right direction with the new Wood Burning Stove install my wife and I are wanting to do this winter.

1573575843350.png

The house we are living in had SOMETHING going into the wall, and we had always just assumed it was an old wood burning stove. The picture above is when we first took possession of the house, and the hole in the wall is obvious above the plug in electric unit. I pulled out the insulation that was plugging the hole in the wall and pushed my phone in to take a video.

This is the result:

This is the chimney coming up from the basement, and I'm wondering what our options are to run 6" pipe up this chimney or if it's even possible. The specs for our stove require standard 6" pipe, and I couldn't quite get my hands back there to take a proper measurement. I will try again this evening when I have a little more time to do some more investigating.

I guess what I want to know is what are our options if this chimney can't house a 6" diameter pipe? Is it a big deal for the installers to go through the chimney and to the exterior of the house with the stainless pipe?

I'll try to provide as much additional info I can in order to get the best answers. I appreciate the wealth of info on this site and am hoping someone will be able to chime in on this specific situation.

The house is a 1 3/4 storey home built in 1985, and the top of the chimney doesn't currently extend past the tallest peak of the house. It's probably about a foot shy or so.

I found the house plans from when it was first built, and this is what was shown for the area in which the Wood Stove supposedly sat

FX4bqyS.png

That looks like it could be lined without any issues. Is there any chance there’s another appliance like a water heater or furnace hooked to it the basement? I couldn’t see daylight in the video, is it a straight shot up?

Reactions: Samcanadian
That looks like it could be lined without any issues. Is there any chance there’s another appliance like a water heater or furnace hooked to it the basement? I couldn’t see daylight in the video, is it a straight shot up?
There's nothing connected to it from the basement. It looks like there was a connection for another woodburning stove down there as well. The appliances are all vented elsewhere

Reactions: webby3650
There's nothing connected to it from the basement. It looks like there was a connection for another woodburning stove down there as well. The appliances are all vented elsewhere
So I took a shot of the chimney running down to the basement.

Obviously it's surrounded by Junk, but I popped open the door on that chimney and was able to measure that it's roughly 6.5-7" at the smallest dimension, so it makes sense that they'd be able to fit a 6" diameter sleeve down it. I think the more important question now is whether I should put just one wood stove in....or a couple of wood stoves._g

So I took a shot of the chimney running down to the basement.

Obviously it's surrounded by Junk, but I popped open the door on that chimney and was able to measure that it's roughly 6.5-7" at the smallest dimension, so it makes sense that they'd be able to fit a 6" diameter sleeve down it. I think the more important question now is whether I should put just one wood stove in....or a couple of wood stoves._g
You are not going to fit a 6" liner down a flat liner that measures 6.5" especially not with the required insulation. The clay will need to be removed

You are not going to fit a 6" liner down a flat liner that measures 6.5" especially not with the required insulation. The clay will need to be removed
Is there any alternative, or is that the minimum? I've forwarded all this info to a WETT Certified installer and should expect an answer back pretty soon, but over the phone he was pretty confident that from what I've described he could install the stove I'm looking at.

Couldn't I put a 5.5" liner down the 6x10 chimney? What's the worst outcome for my wood stove by converting from a 6" pipe to a 5.5" liner?

Couldn't I put a 5.5" liner down the 6x10 chimney? What's the worst outcome for my wood stove by converting from a 6" pipe to a 5.5" liner?
My apologies I misunderstood you. I thought your liner was square. In your case you can run an oval liner.

My apologies I misunderstood you. I thought your liner was square. In your case you can run an oval liner.
An insulated oval liner? I'm wondering about converting down from a 6" pipe to a 5" liner. From what I've read on here it's not the end of the world, and considering I have 20+ feet of chimney it's probably going to draw like a mother?

An insulated oval liner? I'm wondering about converting down from a 6" pipe to a 5" liner. From what I've read on here it's not the end of the world, and considering I have 20+ feet of chimney it's probably going to draw like a mother?
5.5 maybe not 5

An oval liner is very common, your installer should be familiar with them.