Can I vent my 1908 Monarch Cook stove into my Chimney without lining it with stove pipes?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LynnK

Hearth Supporter
I have awesome wood cook stove that will burn wood/coal in very fine condtion.
I live in a ranch style home that previously had a fuel oil furnace ( we have changed to electric baseboard and cove heaters), The chimney is a brick chimney and has a white concrete looking liner in very good condition ( no creosote). We bought single wall stove pipes but now thinking we would like to just plug into the chimney. It has a access hole approx. 8 inches. The furnace was in the basement and the kitchen is directly above it so perhaps the former owners had used it previously and thus the hole!
Anyway...my cook stove has a oval pipe and I bought the oval to round 6 inch connector, an elbow and a length of pipe to connect to the chimney. Will I burn my house down if I don't use a metal pipe inside my chimney?? I am not worried about insurance because my house is paid for and I do not have homeowners insurance for now ( but perhaps in the near future). Thanks, Lynn

Status
Not open for further replies.