Can someone explain this to me - hybrid/electric vehicle surcharge in WI

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Maine's considering a $200 charge. I find it kind of amusing that they want me to buy electric cars they probably uses power from coal-fired plants and then want to charge you more money just to drive it

In ilinois you have toll roads as well as registration and wheel taxes
Tolls are pretty much non discriminatory to the mode of propulsion. Usually rated by the number of wheels. So very fair user fee as long as the cash isnt siphoned off for a myraid of other uses.

Tolls are pretty much non discriminatory to the mode of propulsion. Usually rated by the number of wheels. So very fair user fee as long as the cash isnt siphoned off for a myraid of other uses.
That's the rub- Siphoning

Maine's considering a $200 charge. I find it kind of amusing that they want me to buy electric cars they probably uses power from coal-fired plants and then want to charge you more money just to drive it
Less than 5% of electricity used by folks in Maine is generated by coal.

Maine's considering a $200 charge. I find it kind of amusing that they want me to buy electric cars they probably uses power from coal-fired plants and then want to charge you more money just to drive it.
That EV or Hybrid registration fee would actually just be a claw back on Maine's state income tax credit for purchasing an EV, isn't it? Efficiency Maine offers $1k-$2k credit for buying an EV, on top of the $7,500 federal tax credit...

Reactions: SpaceBus and Ashful