Can we compare stoves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Turbo-Quad said:
OK this is really gonna blow your mind. My sister was gone last weekend. She filled the 62 lb hopper in her Cumberland 8 am Friday morning. I told her I would stop by and start her stove on Sunday, thinking it would be out cold. I show up Sunday night about 8 p.m. and the fire is still going with about 5 lbs left in the hopper. I couldn't believe it. It was 68 in the house. I wish my place was as well insulated as hers.
Two days burn from 62 lbs. seems like a fairly normal rate if the temp. outside isn't lower than the mid 40s, and with no one home, no one is going in and out the door letting cold air in.

arnash said:
Turbo-Quad said:
OK this is really gonna blow your mind. My sister was gone last weekend. She filled the 62 lb hopper in her Cumberland 8 am Friday morning. I told her I would stop by and start her stove on Sunday, thinking it would be out cold. I show up Sunday night about 8 p.m. and the fire is still going with about 5 lbs left in the hopper. I couldn't believe it. It was 68 in the house. I wish my place was as well insulated as hers.
Two days burn from 62 lbs. seems like a fairly normal rate if the temp. outside isn't lower than the mid 40s, and with no one home, no one is going in and out the door letting cold air in.

Arnash, Is your stove running 24/7? Or are you igniting when you return home from Work/Play? If running 24/7 that's pretty good. Just under 1.5 lb an hr. My house faces the south, get a lot of Solar Heat through the windows. I leave all blinds open, and the Sun pounds the carpet, it gets over 80+ degrees on the IR gun. Been running on the Thermostat for the last few days. Gets up to around 40 for the high and last night was 15 for the low. Right now its 22 and dropping according to the outdoor Temp station. I have burned almost 80 lbs in just over 3 days (hopper holds 80 lbs). Just filled it again tonight. Been set at 75 with a 2 degree swing. Stove is still on Low, so it takes awhile to shut off when it does come on, but because of that, it takes even longer to kick back on. At night it runs a little longer, but from about 11 in the afternoon till 6 when my Wife comes home, it does not run at all. The Sun does a great job of heating the house. I have 10 windows that it can shine in a heat the carpet.
Noticed you only chime in when its "Really" late here in Ohio.Granted you are several hours behind. Are you a 3-11 worker?? I have been working afternoons this week. Doing a co-worker a favor, I have not worked 3-11 in over 4 years. I am a 7-3 (day-turn) kind of guy. I don't like getting up at 4:30, But I do like getting out at 3.

Last first, I'm not employed so I spend evenings at the computer, days doing other things. I don't run my stove 24/7. I turn it down when it gets up to around 80* in the stove room and then it goes out when it's on low. So I'm not running it non-stop, nor heating most of my house, so my calculations don't translate well to others' situations. But it seems in my cursory calculation that if 1. a stove is running at or near low 24/7 and 2. it's only moderately cold outside, and 3. the house is already warm and sealed tight, and 4. the pellets used are good heat producers then I wouldn't be surprised by 1.5 bags lasting 2 days. But drop the outside temp significantly, and that changes the whole calculation.

I think I'm gonna sell my Amaizablaze and buy one of those Cumberlands. Been wanting one for awhile but needed a guinea pig first. Thanks sis!

old Harman Invincible 2nd generation, has control board
run on 6.5 most of the time, 1.75 bags per day
keeps 4600 sq ft at 70 degrees
which is warm for us, 68 is ideal
if it reaches 71 she opens the slider in the bedroom to let heat out
she has gone as far as to turn the whole house fan to get the heat out
and temp down

arnash said:
Last first, I'm not employed so I spend evenings at the computer, days doing other things. I don't run my stove 24/7. I turn it down when it gets up to around 80* in the stove room and then it goes out when it's on low. So I'm not running it non-stop, nor heating most of my house, so my calculations don't translate well to others' situations. But it seems in my cursory calculation that if 1. a stove is running at or near low 24/7 and 2. it's only moderately cold outside, and 3. the house is already warm and sealed tight, and 4. the pellets used are good heat producers then I wouldn't be surprised by 1.5 bags lasting 2 days. But drop the outside temp significantly, and that changes the whole calculation.

Agree totally that there many 'other' factors involved.
Good to hear your comment of not being surprised at the result reported.
I also have taken in a few unknown factors, but still see the 'big boy' stoves way out producing mine.
Not that I'm surprised in this, just by how much...

Olddawg's. Have you searched Craiglist? Lots of good deals out there now. End of season is the best time to get them.

DexterDay said:
Olddawg's. Have you searched Craiglist? Lots of good deals out there now. End of season is the best time to get them.

Yes I do.
Seeing a few older units which I did before I bought this one.

I am hoping, by this thread, to add to my list of closeout sales and find something I would be happy with upstairs.

So far I'm seeing a few of interest and knowing what I spent and what I'm producing, gives me a value to shoot for.

I'm loving the input and hope it continues!

Status
Not open for further replies.