Can/will a...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Eventually, probably. But can't say whether that would be in 5 yrs or 50.

Many professionals use spring steel brushed to lean flex liners, Im thinking service life of the liner 5-10 years will be about the time a soot eater might damage one.

Seems to me that a properly trimmed sooteater run at a moderate drill speed and advanced up & down with some patience ought to be pretty gentle on the liner. No need to max out the speed of rotation or advance. Take your time and let the thing do its job.

What's being said here -- Sooteaters are harder on liners than regular poly brushes, ss liners only last 5-10 years?

I doubt it. I used to abuse my mothers stainless flex with a rutland poly brush attached to STIFF rods and it faired just fine. Just had to replace it after 12 years hooked to a Lopi Revere that runs almost non stop in the winter.

We can't predict how aggressive or not one is going to be cleaning the flue. Nor can we determine the quality of the flex liner or the installation. Guessing how long the liner would stand up is just that. Guessing.

Just had to replace it after 12 years hooked to a Lopi Revere that runs almost non stop in the winter.

What happened to it that you knew it needed replaced.

What's being said here -- Sooteaters are harder on liners than regular poly brushes, ss liners only last 5-10 years?
Yeah, this is concerning on both accounts. If either part of that statement is true then why buy either product?

Status
Not open for further replies.