Can you feed the house from top of propane storage tank ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We have 2-500 gal propane tanks piped for storage. We were wondering if we can pipe the feed to the oil boiler from the top of the storage tanks. Then the return will go into the manafold at the bottom of the tanks. We have the feed of our Econoburn going into the top of the tanks and the return coming from the bottom of the tanks. This sound OK? I don't see a flaw yet thats why I need a few opinions. Thanks

mine are piped like that but the supply off the top tanks for the house goes directly to my primary loop. the oil boiler is piped in parallel so the hot water from the tanks doesnt heat the oil boiler. the wood boiler supply goes in the top of the tanks and returns off from the bottom of the tanks.

See the sticky at the top of this forum called 'Simplest Pressurized Storage solution. This is what Im planning on doing, If I can find a 500 gal tank or two.

~ Phil

Glowball Worming Bust said:
2 things to consider
1- thermal shock on eco [cold water entering hot boiler]
2- possible air gap from oil boiler's water pump trying to pull off top of storage tank.
description not clear. so i'm guessing.
I have a Tarm Termovar valve for thermal shock and each tank has a hyvent to get air out. Also oil boiler pump is near oil boiler so it should not have that problem. Good points Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.