Can you I.D. this fireplace? And what would you do?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Pineapplehead

May 24, 2020
Idaho
Hello everyone. Just trying to determine what we have and what we might do. My wife and I are in contract on a home built in 2006. I believe the pellet stove is an Enviro M55. It is installed in the wood storage alcove, and could be removed to make the alcove useful again. The fireplace is the mystery. I'm guessing it is just a prefab unit. The fireplace and hearth are beautiful, but we will need to have an efficient, high-output heat source, and neither of us are very fond of the two right next to each other. We live in the mountains of west-central Idaho and it gets cold. For reference, the house we just sold was built by us and I installed a Pacific Energy Alderlea T6 (3-4 cords per year). It was very tough to part with that one. If this fireplace is just a prefab, could I replace it with a nice insert or modern, sealed fireplace? Thank you for your input.
Philip

Attachments

• stoves.jpg
    stoves.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 119
Well I searched for hours before making the above post, then 10 minutes after posting I believe I found what fireplace this is. It looks like a "Fireplacex 44 Elite" wood fireplace, and the specs look pretty good. Looks like I may have an M55 pellet stove up for sale soon!

Unique setup. Previous owners must have been dedicated wood burning enthusiasts! Hope they didn't need both units running for adequate heat.

I'd consider going thru a winter with the setup first. The pellet stove may have been for ambient, steady-state, wake up in the morning to a warm house heat. Is it on a digital thermostat?