Can you identify this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 26, 2013
Minnesota
I took the kids out in the canoe yesterday and we saw this floating in the water. Does anyone know what it is? My kids were terrified cause they thought it was a dead snake but I told them not to worry, it was just a... well.. err.. not exactly sure what it is but it's probably nothing to be scared of...
photo.JPG

Ack for some reason it is rotated but hopefully you get the idea

Interesting. It looks like it might be an egg casing for some marshland denizen.

reed.gif
(Click image for full size)

The top or root of a weed/plant/reed that broke off before it sprouted/bloomed and is starting to rot?

Reactions: Adios Pantalones
Thanks for rotating it Kapt. That provides a much better sense of scale. Waterlogged cattail?

Oh, oh . . . I think I know this one . . . but only because a friend posted a pic very similar to this a week or two ago.

I believe it's a water lily root system.

I misspoke . . . water lilly rhizome . . . kindof, sortof a root system.

Here's a pic from April that my buddy took . . . also more than week or two ago like I thought. Originally I thought it was the carcass of the Loch Ness monster.

Attachments

• waterlilyroot.jpg
    waterlilyroot.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 128
Reactions: Ehouse
Good sleuthing Jake. Had me scratching my head there.

I'd tell the kids its a tendril from a fresh water octopus.

Reactions: begreen
Those wash up all the time over here. Definitely has the potential to creep someone out the first time they see one.

Status
Not open for further replies.