Can you reccomend a Wood Stove insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hartkem

Jan 24, 2012
KC
I am looking for recommendations on which inserts I should consider. I am looking to supplement my propane forced air furnace. I have a 3200 sq ft 1 1/2 story house including finished basement. I currently have a centrally located gas fireplace insert that will need complete removal. I don't want a catalytic insert. I have an $8,000 dollar budget and want to get a wood burning insert that has long burn times, high efficiency, and one that will last a very long time under daily use during the heating season. I have experience building houses so could do most, if not all of the installation myself. This stove will be located in the family room so aesthetics also matter. Thanks in advance

Why not a catalytic stove? Good cat stove get really nice, long burn times. I think I'd prefer one, although my non-cat stove is nice. I think $8000 seems like plenty of budget especially if you can do a lot of the work yourself. I can't really say much about what brand you should chooce, but I'd get an insert that is rated to heat more space than you have, because the manufacturer ratings seem a to be optimistic. I'd get four cords of firewood before you do anything else, and stack it in the wind until next fall so it will be ready to burn.

Wood Duck said:
Why not a catalytic stove? Good cat stove get really nice, long burn times. I think I'd prefer one, although my non-cat stove is nice. I think $8000 seems like plenty of budget especially if you can do a lot of the work yourself. I can't really say much about what brand you should chooce, but I'd get an insert that is rated to heat more space than you have, because the manufacturer ratings seem a to be optimistic. I'd get four cords of firewood before you do anything else, and stack it in the wind until next fall so it will be ready to burn.

I have heard problems with people having to clean and replace the cat. To be honest I don't have a lot of knowledge on them. I already have about 3 cords drying right now and I am working on getting more.

For clarification, is the existing unit a gas insert or a zero clearance gas fireplace?

BeGreen said:
For clarification, is the existing unit a gas insert or a zero clearance gas fireplace?

I'm not sure exactly. How do I tell the difference. It looks like a standard builders grade heatilator gas insert.

hartkem said:
BeGreen said:

I'm not sure exactly. How do I tell the difference. It looks like a standard builders grade heatilator gas insert.
Is it a pre-fabricated fireplace or a masonry fireplace?

It is a prefab fireplace. I attached a picture for clarification

Attachments

• IMG00156-20120123-1943(2).jpg
    IMG00156-20120123-1943(2).jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 323
Well, you don't need an insert, you need an entire remodel there. The only option you will have is a high efficiency pre-fab fireplace. Giving the location, you might not have enough room to do much.

webby3650 said:
Well, you don't need an insert, you need an entire remodel there. The only option you will have is a high efficiency pre-fab fireplace. Giving the location, you might not have enough room to do much.

I am OK with completely removing the old unit and I realize there will be significant framing / drywall work. Any suggestions for a prefab high efficiency fireplace? My brother has a lennox monticeto estate and loves it. Could I make that unit work if I have enough room? Is there a way to install the hearthstone clydesdale without an existing masonry fireplace?

Also, the current unit is a see through fireplace. The other side is open to the kitchen.

hartkem said:
webby3650 said:

I am OK with completely removing the old unit and I realize there will be significant framing / drywall work. Any suggestions for a prefab high efficiency fireplace? My brother has a lennox monticeto estate and loves it. Could I make that unit work if I have enough room? Is there a way to install the hearthstone clydesdale without an existing masonry fireplace?

Also, the current unit is a see through fireplace. The other side is open to the kitchen.
No, the clydsdale needs a fireplace to be inserted into. I think I have the perfect solution for you. Supreme makes a see thru fireplace. I installed their Plus model a while back and it made some crazy heat! Check this out!
http://www.supremem.com/opus_see-through_fireplace.php

Thanks for the update, it's a gas, ZC fireplace. An insert will not go into this gas fireplace. A complete tearout will be required to convert this space to wood.

Before starting, be sure that this is where you want the wood stove or wood fireplace to be located. It should be centrally located in the house to be most effective. If yes, then consider the options. For 24/7 wood burning as a heat source a freestanding stove can do the job well. But if the desire is still to have a fireplace then look at the FPX 36, RSF Opel3, BIS Traditions, for starters, noting the features of each and how well they fit your needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.