Can you smell your stove temp?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Soundchasm

Minister of Fire
Sep 27, 2011
Dayton, OH
www.soundchasm.com
Howdy again,

This doesn't work when I try to do it, but I swear, when I'm sitting at my desk in my basement, I'll think, hmm, the stove smells like 400F. Well, when I went over to check it, it was 397F.

This happens over and over and over. My schnoz will nail the temp within ten degrees all the time. 400F, 500F, 550F, 600F, 650F.

Again, if I TRY to do it, the results are not reliable. When it "comes" to me, I'm within ten degrees.

I think the skill sets humans can develop are not limited. We can distinguish teeny little differences.

Thanks,
Greg

No question about it, I can smell a change in temperature on my stove. My sense of smell seems to be sensitive since I can smell many things my wife says she can't smell. Of course, you have to also factor in what you might be hearing and not actually realizing. As we know, stoves make a lot of sounds as t hey heat up and cool down. It could well be the change in the sounds coming from a stove alerts us to something going on with the stove and once our attention is drawn to it we also notice a change in how things are smelling.

Reactions: Soundchasm
I can smell when mines too hot for sure but the difference between 300 & 400 would elude me.

I can smell when mine is getting too hot but not the incremental differences. If its running hotter than usual I'll know as soon as I walk into the room and the temp is usually around 700F at that point.

I can smell the stove when the dust starts burning off and the paint reaches a new bake-in temp. That would be >800ºF !!! Fortunately that doesn't happen anymore unless I really space out turning down the air.

I almost deleted the post because I thought it was just too freaky! :)

But sometimes I get the notion that the stove is at 340F, and I'll sweep the top with the IR gun and see 330-350F. I think it's another one of those weird things where you wake up 30 seconds before the alarm goes off and stuff like that. But it's been happening for a few years.

But really, it's a good example that when I'm at my desk my head will be anywhere other than the task in front of me. Like right now, I'm supposed to be paying bills!;lol

I can smell 700, seems to be the sweet spot. I can't smell less than that though.

I seem to only be able to smell it when it is getting up over 600. It seems to have that metallic smell.

I can smell when one of the dogs is by the stove. I think it's relaxing for them.

It's relaxing for ME to see them at the stove!! ;lol

They say scent is in incredible memory trigger. Maybe I've spent so much time pointing the IR gun at the stove that something has gone into my subconscious.

I wish I could get stuff into my "conscious"... That would be way more useful.

Maybe I've spent so much time pointing the IR gun at the stove that something has gone into my subconscious.

I use an IR thermometer a lot around our house. Recently we had a furnace replaced under warranty, and the installation was not done well. We just had that repaired, and I have been reading the temperature of the ceiling vents when it runs to see if that has changed (not obviously). I had the thermometer out to check my oven temps for bread baking last night, and when I turned around I found that my little one had grabbed it. I guess he knows where to aim it.
10CACD17-BC5F-4241-BF5B-74E67B733D52.jpeg

Please pardon the background mess. I’ve had three sick kids and a sick Mommy this week.

Regarding your ability to smell your stove, I wonder if you have the genes to work in the perfume or wine industries.

I use an IR thermometer a lot around our house. Recently we had a furnace replaced under warranty, and the installation was not done well. We just had that repaired, and I have been reading the temperature of the ceiling vents when it runs to see if that has changed (not obviously). I had the thermometer out to check my oven temps for bread baking last night, and when I turned around I found that my little one had grabbed it. I guess he knows where to aim it.
View attachment 222791

Please pardon the background mess. I’ve had three sick kids and a sick Mommy this week.

Regarding your ability to smell your stove, I wonder if you have the genes to work in the perfume or wine industries.

I was just thinking about the perfume industry. Those guys are accurate to several hundred fragrances, I think. Amazing.

A great deal of time I can identify the brand of coffee someone is brewing. Folger's is the easiest. I alternate between three starbucks brands and three Gevalia brands and have no trouble identifying the grounds by smell alone.

My Mom had the nose of a bloodhound. As a teenager, as soon as I walked into the house she could practically recreate my entire evening, much to my dismay!! ;lol My denials were an exercise in futility. Thanks for evoking that memory.