Can you tell me a good maul to get?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BucksCounty

Feeling the Heat
Jan 11, 2009
Southeast PA
I was going to ask for a maul for the upcoming holidays. I would like a good quality maul that will hold up. What is a good brand? Also, do they come in various weights?

You're opening a can of worms, unless the usual suspects are so tired of arguing about this that they don't reply.

I use the Fiskar Super Splitter maul, and I love it. It's 4.5 pounds I think. Others here like heavier and longer mauls. Check out some youtube vids as well about the proper ways to split wood.

Also, search the forum for "best maul" and I'm sure you'll find lots of threads, and many, many opinions.

Yes, getem aul.

I was gonna offer advice, but then I remembered that it's all been agreed with or argued against in about 100 other threads (not my advice personally, just maul advice in general)

Best maul is a hydraulic powered one...

Gooserider

I'm using a Gransfors. Luckily I picked it up before they decided on the huge price hike a couple of years ago. I've swung the Wetterlings and it's a great tool as well. It would be the one I'd buy if I were to get a new one tomorrow.

I'd like to give the much revered Fiskars Super Splitter a few whacks as well. It's specs and shape are much like my Gransfors, which leads me to believe that the Fiskars would perform much the same. ALOT of guys here like them.

I am using a Gransfors and it is the best I've used in my 60 years. Mine was a Christmas present so I have no idea of the price. But I looked at prices and the fiskers looks mighty good at one third the price.

Fiskars-Fiskars-rah rah rah. Me personally, its an 8# true temper, plastic/fiberglass handle. I likes it jess fine, but then again im a knuckle draggin neanderthal red neck hell bent on destroying my shoulders /elbows and back. But the maul has held up just fine. Ask for the best/most expensive maul there is out there, that way you can lean it up against the wall and say you got one at least! then go get a hydraulic splitter and save your back/arms. over 10 cords split with this maul this year alone.

+1 for Fiskars Super Splitter

Status
Not open for further replies.