Can't control my stove on reloads

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Sure can!
I assume the partially magnet covered hole is the boost. There definitely was a draft coming out of it the other day when the dryer was running and the stove was cold.

I can take other pics of it if you'd like. Just might have to wait till it's cooler to get more intimate with it, I'm dripping sweat just getting that one lol
Very helpful thanks. I can see other differences, but that looks like the boost air hole. Cover it completely and run a few loads through the stove to see if that helps.

That area does not get super hot. I have metal duct tape on ours. It's been there for the last decade.

Reactions: coreboy83
I'm not as experienced as these other folks but I'd think the secondary flow is the flow we would always want strong... as that is where the clean burn comes from? I think i might try to block half the boost air with a magnet... then all if that doesnt work.
The secondary air is barometrically regulated by the EBT, but it never closes off completely.

So after a while of experimenting with the boost hole half closed I've closed it off completely.

Once my wood is good and charred and I turn the primary air down all the way I pretty much only get 1 or 2 flames off the wood but my secondaries are firing on all cylinders. I still get very hot stack temps though with my probe cruising at 650-700.

I seem to be getting longer more even heat instead of blasting the house all at once. Glass is clean, firebrick is not discolored. I'll try this for a while and see how it works out.

Reactions: thunderhead
I'm glad I came across this thread. I have a PE fp30 and have been reading about how to slow these monsters down. Understandibly the t5 is a different until but alot of the same tech, I have closed off OAK with no such luck in keeping temps at a reasonable level or being able to have full control over the it. Once it gets rolling the temps really start to climb. I have a stainless removable lip that covers the 2 boost holes, I simply flipped it around so the boost holes face up and not at the coals, It has completly changed this stove. The air lever now completely controls the fire. I can now put a full load in and not worry about temps soaring past 1000. Thanks to everyone with their input.