Can't figure out how to remove baffles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

qwertyjjj

Nov 24, 2014
Canada
Trying to remove these baffles to get access to the liner securing points.
I've turned, pulled, etc but they don't seem to come out. Any ideas on what to try?
I have no idea of model since it was installed by previous owners.
20170827_085016.jpg 20170827_085010.jpg 20170827_085005.jpg

That looks like a regency right? In the future if you are asking about a stove you should tell us what it is. But regardless if it is a regency you need to put a pair of vice grips on in the center of the tube and then hit them with a hammer driving thst tube to the left. It will pop right out. You should also read your m assnual that porcess is spelled out in there pretty well

Lock onto the burn tube with some large vise grips, the give the vise grips a solid whack to the left with a hammer.

Can you post a picture of the stove?

15038392658051522828898.jpg

That looks like a regency right? In the future if you are asking about a stove you should tell us what it is. But regardless if it is a regency you need to put a pair of vice grips on in the center of the tube and then hit them with a hammer driving thst tube to the left. It will pop right out. You should also read your m assnual that porcess is spelled out in there pretty well

I don't know the model unfortunately. No markers and it was installed by previous owner.

Can you pull a couple bricks from the floor and drop the side bricks down?

Gents- that is an Enviro Venice insert 1700 (4 burn tubes vice 3). Simple to remove baffles- they fold on top of each other in the middle, pick up the back and slide forward and out. The air tubes are held in like webby said, grab tube with visegrip and tap to the left. They will disengage and come out. Should be an easy one and easy chimney cleaning too. Look on Enviro's website for a manual. Good luck with her, I've never removed tubes to clean them though.

Reactions: begreen
Lock onto the burn tube with some large vise grips, the give the vise grips a solid whack to the left with a hammer.
That worked nicely! :)

Now... I see 2 nuts and bolts. I can't see how these secure the liner (nothing seems to liner) but they must somehow...
Edit, in the 4th picture, there's some sort of screw... Must be from the outside collar. If so, what are these nuts and bolts doing?!

Attachments

• 20170827_195351.jpg
    20170827_195351.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 195
  • 20170827_195335.jpg
    20170827_195335.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 194
  • 20170827_195306.jpg
    20170827_195306.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 181
  • 20170827_195212.jpg
    20170827_195212.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 189
  • 20170827_195208.jpg
    20170827_195208.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 189
  • 20170827_195157.jpg
    20170827_195157.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 168
  • 20170827_195144.jpg
    20170827_195144.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 259
Have you removed the surround panels and gotten a look at it from the top side? That's typically the first move when removing an insert.

Is the collar upside-down? Liner should be in the inside?

I think you'll find the stove flange bolts onto the stove body with those inside bolts. There is also a gasket that goes between the stove body and the flange connector. The liner should fit down into the flange either with a stove adaptor or the liner can be made to fit inside the stove flange connector altho that is a tall order. Hopefully it has a liner to stove adaptor making the connection.
Picture 4 seems to indicate the liner fits over the stove flange connector and I see a screw coming through to mechanically connect it. If so, that's not the best way. The liner should have a stove adaptor (female on one end with a liner clamp to secure the liner and a crimped male side to fit down inside the stove flange connector, always keeping possible creosote drippage inside each succeeding connection.) Hope this makes sense....
The surround very easy to get off too- has two screws behind the panel to release, surround comes right off. Noticed it has the nice base assembly too, gives added height to a fairly short surround. The blower is on left side facing, has two torx screws in slots to loosen and blower pod comes off. You got a heckuva heater there, the Venice is the European looking/contemporary looking style insert from Enviro, it has the same burn engines as its sisters, the Kodiak, Boston and Cabello inserts. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: begreen
Yes the manual says that I know, the idea being it might be easier to hook the liner to the flange, then pull it down onto the stove from inside the unit, in case you don't have room in the fireplace to put the liner in place into the flange. There's different opinions on this, I think its an ok option to have, some installs don't give you much room in the fireplace to work, having that option is good. Just make sure the flange is secured well to the stove body. With the surround off, you may have room to disconnect the liner from the outside, then pull the stove forward. Its how you would like to do it.

The liner looks like it is screwed to an appliance adapter (as it should) then the appliance adapter is held to the stove by the flange bolts.

Oh yes, I see now the liner is attached via a stove adaptor, good. I'm just wondering tho, why are you taking liner off?? Most folks take the baffles out and either sweep down from the chimney into the stove body, but I like to clean from the bottom up. Just wondering...

Oh yes, I see now the liner is attached via a stove adaptor, good. I'm just wondering tho, why are you taking liner off?? Most folks take the baffles out and either sweep down from the chimney into the stove body, but I like to clean from the bottom up. Just wondering...
Making a block off plate. Cold air in winter

Roger, apologize, didn't read close enough.... good idea too!

Only issue is I can't get cement board in there. Will just have to be roxul.
That'll work. Just make sure it can't fall. The liner expands and contracts through the heating cycle and can cause the insulation to fall.

In a heat-form fireplace like that, we typically do a two piece sheet metal plate.

My friends fire place was similar, what I did was drilled a few L brackets into the metal ... got it close to level then measured the space cut the cement board to size then cut it in half again, the idea was to lay the cement board onto the L brackets just to support the insulation because it will settle over time, I layered it around the flex liner then did another row, 1st putting in the on board, then carefully laid the other row of insulation on the second board and got it to fit (a little firm) onto the L bracket, that block off plate worked wonders, FYI the cement board was about 5" from the top of the insert / stove

Reactions: stovelark