Can't find an installer, any help? (Sarnia, Ontario)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DallasW

Dec 13, 2012
Hey there,
Bought a pellet stove last winter off kijiji and have been having trouble finding an installer for it that's located anywhere near my place. Both of the installers listed on the WETT website for this area both say that they don't install pellet stoves.

I'm locating in Sarnia and was just wondering if anyone on here has any good recommendations for installers in the area? I may have to look in London and if that's the case I'd love some recommendations for there as well.

Thanks guys!

You've got me confused. You bought a pellet stove & the WETT guys you contacted don't install fireplaces? What does one have to do with the other? Can you clarify?

You've got me confused. You bought a pellet stove & the WETT guys you contacted don't install fireplaces? What does one have to do with the other? Can you clarify?

Sorry that was a mistake, should have said they don't install pellet stoves!

Sorry that was a mistake, should have said they don't install pellet stoves!

OK. If you can't find a local WETT certified installer to help you, is that an issue? Does your insurance company require that? If not, we can probably talk you thru it, depending on what type of unit you have & what your skill sets are...

OK. If you can't find a local WETT certified installer to help you, is that an issue? Does your insurance company require that? If not, we can probably talk you thru it, depending on what type of unit you have & what your skill sets are...

From what I understand it needs to be WETT ceritifed for insurance reasons. I can do it myself and have it certified separately (~$100), but I have some questions on placement of the actual fireplace in the house as well as piping questions to make sure it meets code.

I also did just find an installer about an hour away who will do it, but they want $1200+piping costs. Just calling around to all the listed installers now...

From what I understand it needs to be WETT ceritifed for insurance reasons. I can do it myself and have it certified separately (~$100), but I have some questions on placement of the actual fireplace in the house as well as piping questions to make sure it meets code.

I also did just find an installer about an hour away who will do it, but they want $1200+piping costs. Just calling around to all the listed installers now...

Wow. That's about 2 - 3X what you'd pay down here...

Wow. That's about 2 - 3X what you'd pay down here...
That sounded high to me as well, was expecting at most around $1000 all in. TSC here sells a piping kit for $500. Is it a difficult job for someone mildly handy? Don't really want to drill a hole in the wall and then have the inspection say it can't go there, etc.

That sounded high to me as well, was expecting at most around $1000 all in. TSC here sells a piping kit for $500. Is it a difficult job for someone mildly handy? Don't really want to drill a hole in the wall and then have the inspection say it can't go there, etc.

As long as all the clearances & install details laid out in the manual are followed, there should be no issues, but the local inspector, the Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) has the final say-so on all installs, if inspection is required. Generally, there is nothing overly difficult with a pellet stove install.

You may be able to take dimensions etc and go to your inspector and have them look them over. They may even agree to come out before you cut holes etc for free or a nominal fee. Fire department came out for free on my install. $1100 is outrageous I wonder if the installer knows hes the only one in the area who can do it so he charges a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.