Can't find someone for my chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Typ0

Feeling the Heat
Dec 18, 2014
Central New York
I noticed something dishearting about my class A chimney and I am ready to pull the trigger to completely rebuild it. I need to go from 8" to 6" for my stove. How do I find someone to do this work? I can't seem to locate anyone thought you might have ideas.

Where have you looked?
Check your local hearthshop.
Call local chiney sweeps, they often do installs.
Check the National Fireplace Institute (NFI) for certified installers.

Reactions: stoveguy2esw
As already mentioned, most all hearth shops install class A.
At least I'm my area, they will only install chimney components if you purchase a stove from them. Also we don't have anyone listed on the above registry in my area that's certified....

That's why I've done countless hours of research on this forum to get edgumacated and do it all myself.....!

Good luck!

I am curious why you are going from 8" to 6" that is generally not allowed or advisable.

I am curious why you are going from 8" to 6" that is generally not allowed or advisable.

Because 6" is the pipe size for the Energy King Legacy.

Because 6" is the pipe size for the Energy King Legacy.
Ahhh i see i was thinking they were saying reducing or increasing within the system but i get it now lol

yeah it makes sense to go down to 6" since that is what my stove is rated for....

I found a place that will do it. No way am I going to pay those prices though! This is not a difficult job to do at all...my problem is I am deathly afraid of heights and not going on my roof. I need 5 36" sections of pipe...new flashing...a cap...and a ceiling kit. Seriously they want $1650 to do it which is double what the supplies retail for. The chit locks together and goes through my attic.

want $1650 to do it which is double what the supplies retail for.
Doubling the material cost is fairly standard for class a installs. And yes i agree go with 6" i just misunderstood

Reactions: PWash
I am not upset or anything they are running a business and have a lot of expenses...I just am not going to pay it LOL
Fair enough it is not that complicated if you are fairly handy and can read and follow instructions well i am sure you can get it done safely

If you do not feel comfortable with heights or working on your roof, don't go up there, nothing is worth putting a cost on your safety, please find a certified installer at a reasonable rate to do the work. Just my 2 pennies.

If you do not feel comfortable with heights or working on your roof, don't go up there, nothing is worth putting a cost on your safety, please find a certified installer at a reasonable rate to do the work. Just my 2 pennies.

Oh I am not going up there just to get it done. You are 100% correct I am not safe up there and it ain't gonna happen LOL....

yeah it makes sense to go down to 6" since that is what my stove is rated for....

I found a place that will do it. No way am I going to pay those prices though! This is not a difficult job to do at all...my problem is I am deathly afraid of heights and not going on my roof. I need 5 36" sections of pipe...new flashing...a cap...and a ceiling kit. Seriously they want $1650 to do it which is double what the supplies retail for. The chit locks together and goes through my attic.

I'm having a new class A chimney install Thursday. Through the wall and up the side of the house. Price is ~$2700 and only $475 of that is labor.

That is exactly what I am saying! They tried to job me for 70% markup on materials and then $450 labor costs for a three hour job.
well was it 70% markup or where they using higher priced materials?

well was it 70% markup or where they using higher priced materials?

That's what I was thinking. I know I could price out cheap stuff for a lot less that $2200. Most stove shops only install the higher end material.

Status
Not open for further replies.