Can't Get Avalon Arbor up to temp.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodburn

Oct 26, 2007
Long Island, New York
I got my new Arbor about a week and a half ago. I will be posting pictures of the stove and my custom hearth soon. I've been burning and finally, the smell of burning paint seems to over with. I seem to have a problem though. No matter what I do I can't get the stove surface temp. above 550... and that was only once. It likes to stay around 460.

Here's what I do. I light the fire with kindling and a few small-medium splits with air control and bypass damper all the way open. After about 25 minutes, kindling is gone, and splits are well-burnt. I load up the box with wood, leave air/bypass all the way open for about 25 more minutes to burn of the volitile gasses. By this time the stove is about 400-425. I shut the bypass damper and leave the air control all the way open. The stove usually peaks around 465, and rarely gets higher. I have cut the air down, and I notive longer burns, but not much difference in temp.

What can I do? Wood is not the problem- all oak, very dry, some has been split for three years. I have a condor thermometer on stovetop. I was expecting to run the stove between 600-700. I am pretty disappointed.

Please help!

I had exact same temp using same method. Another post here recommended tryimg new thermometers. Did that and 1 reads almost 40 degrees cooler.

There has been alot of discussion about these down draft stoves, and it seems you need a good established coal bed to get them to burn properly. Also can be real finicky and are in need of constant attention. Do a search for "everburn" it may give you some tips.

woodburn said:
I got my new Arbor about a week and a half ago. I will be posting pictures of the stove and my custom hearth soon. I've been burning and finally, the smell of burning paint seems to over with. I seem to have a problem though. No matter what I do I can't get the stove surface temp. above 550... and that was only once. It likes to stay around 460.

Here's what I do. I light the fire with kindling and a few small-medium splits with air control and bypass damper all the way open. After about 25 minutes, kindling is gone, and splits are well-burnt. I load up the box with wood, leave air/bypass all the way open for about 25 more minutes to burn of the volitile gasses. By this time the stove is about 400-425. I shut the bypass damper and leave the air control all the way open. The stove usually peaks around 465, and rarely gets higher. I have cut the air down, and I notive longer burns, but not much difference in temp.

What can I do? Wood is not the problem- all oak, very dry, some has been split for three years. I have a condor thermometer on stovetop. I was expecting to run the stove between 600-700. I am pretty disappointed.

Please help!

How many feet of chimney pipe do you have from stovetop to chimney cap?

I am about to check out that video right now. I have only about 13 feet of pipe, but the pipe is double wall and runs inside the house for about 9 feet of that. It goes straight up- no turns. It seems to draft great. I will try a new thermometer, but I am not sure that's it. I hope I can do something to solve this problem.

Wow. I just read that article. That is pretty much what I do, less the whole pocket idea and without damping down the air control in so many intervals. This seems like a tremendous amount of work to run this stove. I am assuming from Todd's post that most stoves are a lot less work. Is this true?

Status
Not open for further replies.