capping off DVL stove pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

stoveliker

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2019
Long Island NY
I have seen it someplace here, but I can't find it.

I'd like to take out a section of my (Duravent DVL 6") during the summer, and put a cap on both open ends (and then put Damp Rid in the stove).

However, Duravent does not sell a cap like that. I have seen one of you post a pic of something that I would be interested in, so I know it's available (or someone has a better shop than I have :p )

Bottomline: I'd like to cap my 6" DVL during the summer. Any suggestions?

Why?

Because it's humid here, because I can smell the stove in summer, and because I would like to prevent rust on the inside.

Have you looked at standard 6" round end caps?

That fits on the double wall structure of dvl?

That fits on the double wall structure of dvl?
It should fit the bottom, crimped end. Measure to verify. On the stove it may need to be crimped to fit the flue collar.

Hm, I'll have one male and one female opening to cap

Correct, the stove cap will most likely need to be crimped to make it male to fit the flue collar. Imperial sells them precrimped.

Ok. I was at the HD when I posted my last one. I took two home. I have a crimper.
I hope to find some time tomorrow (kids at home, but Elsa will arrive) to take things apart and see how it'll go.
Thanks for helping!

They can be painted black to be less obvious.

Reactions: stoveliker
I get a whiff of mine on cool very humid mornings, but only when I have a bathroom exhaust fan or range hood fan on in the house. Newer construction is pretty tight the make up air I am exhausting comes from the leakiest part of the house, the stove. Are you in a similar situation or is it constant?

I get a whiff of mine on cool very humid mornings, but only when I have a bathroom exhaust fan or range hood fan on in the house. Newer construction is pretty tight the make up air I am exhausting comes from the leakiest part of the house, the stove. Are you in a similar situation or is it constant?

No, my home is not that new. It depends on the weather and wind direction. I'm on a somewhat steep slope (can't be driven when there's snow). When it rains and cools down, and the wind is from the wrong direction, it stinks more than a whiff.

This what you are looking for??

The link does not work anymore, but if you do a search for 'Fernco 8 inch qwik cap' you will find suppliers. Hope this helps.

I use it for a couple of reasons. Keeps birds out. Hot humid outside air interacting with cool dry inside air = condensation. I do not want condensation on the inside of my stove pipe or stove.

This what you are looking for??

The link does not work anymore, but if you do a search for 'Fernco 8 inch qwik cap' you will find suppliers. Hope this helps.

I use it for a couple of reasons. Keeps birds out. Hot humid outside air interacting with cool dry inside air = condensation. I do not want condensation on the inside of my stove pipe or stove.

No, it's not a chimney cap I'm looking for, but a stove pipe cap. To cap off the bottom of the chimney and the top of the stove (well, with some sections of stove pipe still attached to both).

The caps @begreen suggested worked (well, I found slightly cheaper ones that were already black online).
Took out the telescoping section, capped off both sides, put damprid in the stove and that should do it.

Thanks all for providing input and help.

Were the black ones Imperial? I saw those after I had posted. Glad they worked for you.

Do you have some type of cap on there now? If you are getting rain in there maybe a tight heavy bag and a zip tie. To mitigate the down draft I would stuff something in the chimney in the stove,

Do you have some type of cap on there now? If you are getting rain in there maybe a tight heavy bag and a zip tie. To mitigate the down draft I would stuff something in the chimney in the stove,

I have a cap. I don't have issues with rain. I have issues with down draft (only when the stove is not running).
I have the caps installed now on the openings after I took out the telescoping piece. We'll see how this goes.

I do have the stove in a humid basement (dehumidifier and AC running) so I put damprid in the now closed off (except for the hole on the air inlet) firebox.