Carbide chain

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TheBigIron

Feeling the Heat
Dec 23, 2014
Peru, IL
Not sure if this has been discussed, but I was wondering if you can a Kevlar chain with a regular sharpening file or does it have to be something different. Thanks in advance

Not sure if this has been discussed, but I was wondering if you can a Kevlar chain with a regular sharpening file or does it have to be something different. Thanks in advance
Do you mean carbide? If so no, it takes a diamond wheel.

Reactions: EbS-P
Do you mean carbide? If so no, it takes a diamond wheel.
That’s what I meant, don’t know why I was thinking Kevlar 🤯🤦‍♂️

Carbide will wipe out a normal file or stone in short order. It requires a diamond cutter for sharpening.
(I have corrected the thread title).

Reactions: SpaceBus
From what I've read carbide is good for cutting dirty wood, but won't ever get as sharp as steel. You also do need expensive diamond wheels and a grinder to sharpen it, I don't know of any files that work.

Reactions: ABMax24
Carbide will wipe out a normal file or stone in short order. It requires a diamond cutter for sharpening.
(I have corrected the thread title).
Thanks, yeah I wasn’t really sure about the regular file or even stone, do they make diamond wheels that I can put on my electric sharpener??

Thanks, yeah I wasn’t really sure about the regular file or even stone, do they make diamond wheels that I can put on my electric sharpener??
We had all sorts and shapes of diamond wheels at the shops I worked at. Paying for them is another story.

Just wondering why or what are the advantages to a carbide chainsaw blade? I'm going to guess that they would dull super fast and damage easily??

No, they are more resistant to abrasion (sand). Yes, they can chip, and one doesn't get as sharp an edge, but they last longer when you have a lot of sand in the bark.

Rescue teams also like to use them for cutting through cars and stuff like that.

Reactions: mcdougy
I was thinking about planer blades.....and now understanding how it is reference to sharpness. Thanks for answering my query.

Rescue teams also like to use them for cutting through cars and stuff like that.

Most of the carbide chains we use on the saws are actually used to cut through buildings . . . having the carbide chain allows the firefighters to keep cutting if they saw through a nail or screw.

Most of the carbide chains we use on the saws are actually used to cut through buildings . . . having the carbide chain allows the firefighters to keep cutting if they saw through a nail or screw.
I can imagine that is amore likely scenario. Many times I've considered a carbide milling chain for milling "yard trees", driftwood, and other gnarly logs. Might still happen if I ever come across a large drift log.