What 2 in 1 sharpener for this chain?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hunter8282

Mar 14, 2024
Michigan
55 Rancher using this chain.

What 2 in 1 sharpener do I need? Very confused by the 3/8 vs 404 pitch and 7/32 vs 13/64 file size.

I found this one with a 3/8" pitch with 13/64 file size, but the chain says it's a 7/32 file size. And the 7/32 file says it's for a 404 chain. <>

I looked at the knockoffs and instead went with the Pferd 2 in one sharpeners for my saws, just the quality of the files makes the price difference worth it. Price replacement files and you'll see what I mean, the Pferd files will last. Common confusion on the file size and if you do the math it's 1/64 difference, both work OK. I like the 2 in 1 just because it's easier on my arthritic hands and wrists.
What is stamped on the bar of your saw for chain size? Some Husky's used a different chain than .050.

I bought the 3/8 one and just fitted 7/32 files into it. The .404 will not work with a 3/8 chain due to the different chain pitch.

These were originally made for Stihls, and Stihl's 3/8 chain uses a 13/64" file.

Reactions: CincyBurner
If you have 3/8” pitch chain, use the 7/32” file, unless the 3/8” pitch is Stihl chain. Stihl makes their 3/8” pitch chains just a smidge smaller/ tighter (1/64”) than the rest of the industry. This is why Stihl recommends the 13/64” size file.