Carbon build up in Chain saws...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Has anyone put some thing in the saw to breakdown the carbon like : Marvel Mystery Oil or Sea Foam?
I wonder if you did this once in a while if you could keep ahead of the build up?
Thanks ..It's just a crazy thought.

I don't see any carbon buildup in my saws.

I do get other kinds of buildup; I put a screwdriver in the saw to get that out.

You can see all the way through the combustion system on a chainsaw if you look in the spark plug hole and the exhaust port where the muffler attaches!

Reactions: Jon1270
Sea Foam. I start it and spray it in the carb while revving it to keep it running for a bit then let it die. Pull the plug and spray a generous amount in the cylinder. Let it sit over night. Start it next the day and watch the crud come out. I use Sea Foam on all my 2 strokes its really great stuff. Always runs better after using it.

Reactions: Sean McGillicuddy
I have never had to. Proper mixing with a quality oil combined with the high revs and it's always clean. I'm not a huge fan of seafoam but I have used it occasionally.

This is what if question...or you was given this...;)