Carbon Monoxide Detectors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Do you have a Carbon Monoxide detector in or near the room where your pellet stove sits?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
We have 2 Nighthawks - 1 upstairs in the hall by the bedrooms and 1 downstairs in the foyer between the room with the stove and the room with the fireplace which is also near the stairs from the basement with the furnace. They are about 5 years old so I'm looking for replacements

Someone mentioned one with a replaceable sensor. Any info on who makes that one and what the model is?

DonD said:
We have 2 Nighthawks - 1 upstairs in the hall by the bedrooms and 1 downstairs in the foyer between the room with the stove and the room with the fireplace which is also near the stairs from the basement with the furnace. They are about 5 years old so I'm looking for replacements

Someone mentioned one with a replaceable sensor. Any info on who makes that one and what the model is?

This would seem to indicated that First Alert CO detectors do or at least they used to...

Fits all First Alert CO alarms that use SensorPack Models including first and second generation models (fits FACOAC, NICOAC, GCI, FCD1AC, FACO, NICO, FCD1). The SensorPack Module is designed to operate for up to 3-years under normal use conditions. 1-year limited warranty. We recommend a 2-year replacement cycle for the SensorPack, even if no signs of sensor aging or battery degradation are noticed. Do not install after the date stamped on the SensorPack module.

Another important thing to look out for, the sensors in these have a shelf life, they will stop working after sitting on the shelf unused due to degradation of the sensor. Something to watch out for if you buy off the Internet, be sure to ask the seller when the expiration date is, if they can't tell you, or won't, best to buy from someone else.

the residents before I purchased my home must have been paranoid as I have 10 smoke/fire alarms, 3 CO detectors. I go bat s**t crazy sometimes when I need to search out a low battery beep. I plan on in the future making it so all alarms are in sync as it is very possible I will not hear the alarm in the basement if I am on the second floor.

I own 2 of these. I am a HVACs tech who pushes co detectors. Everyone should have them. I ask a lot of people to look at their booklets and read on how long it takes for your detector to go off. These items showed me i had an issue with the pellet stove. Default settings got changed on my stove and was burning bad. House had 7 ppms.
NSIMonitorB.jpg

Product Specs:
FEATURES:
• Continuous Scan™ mode lets you know monitor is checking for CO – 24/7

• Digital display shows CO levels of 5ppm or higher

• 5-minute "Hush" button for levels below 70 ppm

• Low Alarm - 15 ppm - audible & visual every 8 seconds

• High Alarm - 35 ppm - audible & visual every 4 seconds

• Crisis Alarm - 70+ ppm - audible & visual every 2 seconds - cannot be silenced

• Designed for wall installation or tabletop use

• Instantaneous Test Mode with readout to 1,000 ppm

• Replaceable 9V battery ensures operation even when power is out

• 3-Year limited Warranty

PerfectaDude said:
Kidde makes a nice wireless system where if one detector is tripped it sets them all off, not a bad idea if you have a pellet or wood stove especially in a basement or other distant room where you might not hear it.

We have the wired and wireless version from Kidde. One upstairs, one in the hall, one in each bedroom, one in the garage and one in the basement - none of them is close by the stove, oil furnace or fireplace though - they are all at least 16ft away.

Just tripped the one in the gerage the other day when the lawn mower would not start right away and I had to crank around a bit before it fired up....I was quite amazed how sensitive they are, the garage door was open, it was somewhat windy and they still sniffed the CO ...not bad - made me feel good about the protection I get for comparably little bucks (and its required by building code anyway).

Riddle Master Morgon said:
PerfectaDude said:
Kidde makes a nice wireless system where if one detector is tripped it sets them all off, not a bad idea if you have a pellet or wood stove especially in a basement or other distant room where you might not hear it.

We have the wired and wireless version from Kidde. One upstairs, one in the hall, one in each bedroom, one in the garage and one in the basement - none of them is close by the stove, oil furnace or fireplace though - they are all at least 16ft away.

Just tripped the one in the gerage the other day when the lawn mower would not start right away and I had to crank around a bit before it fired up....I was quite amazed how sensitive they are, the garage door was open, it was somewhat windy and they still sniffed the CO ...not bad - made me feel good about the protection I get for comparably little bucks (and its required by building code anyway).

Speaking of Garage doors looks like the system these guys sell will open your garage door if the level gets too high, assuming you have an electric garage door opener.

http://www.heiligkuh.com/safe-n-warm.htm

PerfectaDude said:
Riddle Master Morgon said:
PerfectaDude said:

Speaking of Garage doors looks like the system these guys sell will open your garage door if the level gets too high, assuming you have an electric garage door opener.

http://www.heiligkuh.com/safe-n-warm.htm

Thats a very neat idea. If you forget your remote, just sit in the car, keep it ideling and wait....:). No seriously, nice product, had not seen that before.

CO/smoke detector is in the kitchen with the pellet stove. We also have a cheap smoke detector in the kitchen that I toss in a kitchen drawer whenever I use the stove because it never fails to beep when I cook. That one is annoying - we're living in my dad's 200 year old house and slowly fixing it. Knock down plaster, smoke detector freaks out lol. But I digress. The CO/smoke detector seems to be decent. It never makes a peep unless the battery is low. I know it does work though because sometimes it'll yell "Fire" if I burn food lol. Hopefully it detects CO, should the need ever arise.

I wonder if anyone out there makes a pellet powered clothes dryer! Think of the money you would save on fabric softener, I love that burning wood smell!

I have one at the top of my stairs facing the stove (6 stairs, split level) which then splits off to the 3 bedrooms. I figure it it's going to hit anywhere, it's going to hit there, and 90% of my time is spent in one of the bedrooms (my office is the small bedroom and i work from home). Because of the height thing, this is effectively 'head' level of the lower floor. So, with the 'wind' from the stove pushing it, the low-lying outlet will be in the perfect spot if co was to pour up the stairs.

And of course, I have the ol' trusty gas mask with N95 and my BOB near by ready to go at all times :) And while the N95 isn't a 100% blocker of CO, it's surely better than nothing and will get me outside.

I have three detectors in all. Two on the first floor and one in the basement.
Two of the three detectors are within 10 feet of the stoves.

i'm close to making a decision. looking closest at the Kidde KN-COPP-3 Nighthawk Plug-In.

i don't see any plug in models with replaceable sensors.

I just installed the $17.99 First Alarm detector from Lowe's. It says to mount it on a wall at least 4" from the ceiling , 20' away from any fuel burning appliance, 10' away from baths, saunas, not near circulating air, ie, ceiling fans air returns. my house is only 1000 sq ft. I don't have any perfect locations as per instruction. It says nothing else but just choose a location on wall, no more than 4" from ceiling. I put in the hall way just above the thermostat, at about 5 ft high. I'll proabably just put them in every room like a lot you all do.

I don't have one near my stove but I do have one uptairs in the hallway next to all of our bedrooms.

Status
Not open for further replies.