carbon scale in burn pot?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbmaine

Hearth Supporter
Apr 4, 2009
USA
Hi all, as some of you may know from my previous posts I picked up a P68 this year. So far the weather has gotten cold enough to have run the stove a few times. I have burned around 2 1/2 bags of pellets so far, mostly using low settings. I took the time today to give it a bit of a cleaning and found some carbon scale ( best way I can describe it) stuck to the inside of the burn pot. Using the scraping tool I pealed it off. It came off in pieces about the size of a quarter that were about a 1/16 thick. Is this normal? Are these the clinkers I keep hearing about?
Thanks for your help
JB

easiest thing to do is to scrape pot everytime you fill the hopper. This takes 20 seconds and can be done with unit going. Or you can do it less often and it will take you 5 minutes to chip it off when its 1/4 inch thick.

Status
Not open for further replies.