Cardinal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaDave

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2008
Northern MI - in the mitten
This colorful guy and his mate show up almost daily. The female pecks at this window in the stove room.
Maybe they see the stove and want to come in?

Attachments

• IMG_3686resize.jpg
    IMG_3686resize.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 336
Do you feed them? I feed black oil sunflower seeds and always have lots of them around. Very pretty!

Nope, don't feed. Really don't want to start that birdfeeder thing. Neighbors 1/4 mile down the road have told us that there are bears in the woods across the road from them. Too close for comfort for me, so I don't really want to attract one or a family.
You know, come to think of it, we've had hummingbird feeders out for the past 3 yrs. without a problem. Maybe I'll try the sunflower thing.
The pecking on the window drives the dogs crazy.

I only use one little hanging feeder. That way I don't get too carried away. They get fed just enough to keep the regulars around and an occasional passerby. I know some people that go through 50-100 pounds of bird seed in a week!

quads said:
I only use one little hanging feeder. That way I don't get too carried away. They get fed just enough to keep the regulars around and an occasional passerby. I know some people that go through 50-100 pounds of bird seed in a week!

Holy crap!
Geez, we've got 9 house dogs of various sizes, and only go through about 25lbs. of dog food a week.

4255824717_f2c0acee7e.jpg

Love Cardinals here's the female of the species. Yeah if you just use black oil seed you get birds that only like that seed. At first we used mix seed and the birds would peck at it dumping seed for the sunflower seeds only.

We have several pairs here. The husband feeds them and the variety of birds we see at the feeders in his vegetable garden is amazing. Our home is one of the stops for the Audubon Society when they do their annual bird count. Last year we even saw an Indigo Bunting!

i think cardinals are the coolest thin in the middle of winter. Had a couple of pairs in the yard last year but none this yr. very nice pics!!

savageactor7 said:
4255824717_f2c0acee7e.jpg

Love Cardinals here's the female of the species. Yeah if you just use black oil seed you get birds that only like that seed. At first we used mix seed and the birds would peck at it dumping seed for the sunflower seeds only.

What a good pic. Good tip on the seed too. Thanks.

I had a male and female cardinal all last winter and this summer . . . they even had 1-2 babies . . . I haven't seen them this winter though which is too bad since I really enjoyed watching them feed.

I used to go through 25 to 50 pounds of black sunflower seed a week.

Was keeping all my dad's feeders full after he died.

Now there's just four and a thistle feeder.

Most of the birds disappeared this Winter. I haven't bought seed since September.
Two suet cakes a week. The different woodpeckers are interesting.
I don't get much time to watch and see what's out there any more but still check the feeders every weekend.

If I had bears, turkeys, rats, pigeons or couldn't keep the squirrels out, I'd have to stop for a while.
Pigeons can ruin asphalt shingles and window ledges if they decide to live by a feeder.

The Cardinals might be finding bugs. Fruit flies and other bugs that size can hang by windows, even all Winter.
I've even found tree frogs up on top of windows at night hoping to lunch on moths or anything else attracted to the light.

Status
Not open for further replies.