Cast iron or steel top ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

woodhog73

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2016
Somewhere cold !
Ok I'm not the most tech smart when it comes to stoves.

I've got a Quad 3100 insert. Can someone tell me the portion that sticks out ( non flush insert ) is it a cast iron top ? The stove looks like a regular steel insert. But the exposed part that sticks out has what looks and feels like a cast iron top. It stays hot and warm long after the coals have gone out. Not warm enough to give heat but warm to the touch atleast 10 hours after coaling.

Is it cast iron ? Can I put a kettle on this small top to put moisture back into the room ?

I'd say you can put a pot of water on any stove. But I don't do it any more for a few reasons. It's not that effective putting moisture in the air. It always running out of water. You will end up with water spots on the stove top. I use a humidifier.