Cast iron repair

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The crack is in the back of a H300 wood stove . It is about 6" long over all, running vertically and maybe 1/8" at it's widest opening . I was considering drilling small holes at the very ends of the crack to prevent further cracking , cleaning it all up as much as possible and then filling with the high temp JB Weld .........

The crack is in the back of a H300 wood stove . It is about 6" long over all, running vertically and maybe 1/8" at it's widest opening . I was considering drilling small holes at the very ends of the crack to prevent further cracking , cleaning it all up as much as possible and then filling with the high temp JB Weld .........
Did you buy it new? If so did you contact a dealer about having it replaced under warranty? Btw that is a big crack i would not use the stove under any circumstances.

I did buy it new and the stove was taken out of service as soon as I noticed the crack . The dealer that I bought it from is no longer a dealer for Regency . I may be a bit on the high side as far as the crack goes because I haven't cleaned it up enough to get a good look . Most of it appears to be a hairline crack but it may be larger than I think as well ......

I did buy it new and the stove was taken out of service as soon as I noticed the crack . The dealer that I bought it from is no longer a dealer for Regency . I may be a bit on the high side as far as the crack goes because I haven't cleaned it up enough to get a good look . Most of it appears to be a hairline crack but it may be larger than I think as well ......
Find a different dealer it should be covered

Thanks , I'll give another dealer a call who I have done business with and see what he has to say ................

Find a different dealer it should be covered

^ This advice +1 . . . get it replaced rather than messing around with JB Weld. I mean I love the stuff, but I wouldn't trust my home and safety to the stuff when it comes to sealing a cracked cast iron woodstove. If you're able to replace the stove that is a much, much better alternative.

Reactions: bholler
Thanks , I'll give another dealer a call who I have done business with and see what he has to say ................
Can you post some pics of the stove inside and out? I am curious because this is the first time i have ever heard of a casting on a hampton cracking. I am sure it has happened before but it is very uncommon.

I will take some pics when I can get it cleaned up a bit to show folks what it looks like . You are right Firefighter Jake , safety first for sure . If it would be covered under warranty that would be the best . I don't have the paperwork in front of me but the stove is about 10 years old and I didn't think there was any chance of the damage being covered under warranty .
I am still interested in how this JB Weld extreme heat works in general ...............

The old Taiwanese knock off VCs and Jotul clone had the rep that on occasion the castings would fail big time and the part of the stove side or the back would end up on the floor while the stove was being operated.

I doubt it would happen with reputable stove company and they would want to work something out to avoid any future liability.

I don't have any personal experience with that JB product. It's probably good stuff, but my guess is that once cured it's not flexible enough to deal with the expansion/contraction from the repeated heat/cool cycles.

I don't have any personal experience with that JB product. It's probably good stuff, but my guess is that once cured it's not flexible enough to deal with the expansion/contraction from the repeated heat/cool cycles.
I used it on car once. Secure clutch cable pass thru on firewall. It worked for about a year and then cracked and allow cable movement. Welding fixed it forever.