Cast iron stove transporting / storing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

David T

Sep 22, 2012
I was going to buy a used Jotul Castine and pick it up myself using a small trailer. The trailer has springs that aren't too stiff so it doesn't bounce a lot. I am guesing that adding additional weight with the stove might a good idea to stop the trailer from bouncing which I can .Any experiences or ideas with using trailers. I was also wondering that in a cold climate like in New England that if I couldn't get the stove in the house for a month or so would it do it any harm to keep the stove on the trailer outside if the stove was protected from snow or rain. Doesn't sound just right but I was wondering if that was such a good idea. Any help with either the trailer or storage ideas appreciated. Just not that familiar with cast iron stoves.

Thanks

David

Stoves left outside will often rust badly. Even if protected by tarps, moisture and condensation will take its toll. If you can store it in the house or a dry place that would be much better. Protect the surface with thick cardboard, then strap the stove down with ratchet straps to prevent any movement, in any direction if moving it on a trailer.

Stoves left outside will often rust badly. Even if protected by tarps, moisture and condensation will take its toll. If you can store it in the house or a dry place that would be much better. Protect the surface with thick cardboard, then strap the stove down with ratchet straps to prevent any movement, in any direction if moving it on a trailer.

I appreciate your replies and advice.

Thank You

Dave

When i picked mine up from the p.o. I rented a Uhaul and drove about 45 mins with my son to pick it up. Of course it was on the second floor of an old victorian mansion... But anyways, we stripped it down to reduce weight and i put alot of moving blankets on it, and put it up to the front of the trailer and strapped it down with every rope and strap i had. On the ride home the trailer bounce a few times and i swore the legs on that stove were gonna snap but she got home in one piece. I had enough room in my basement to store it while waiting for the chimney install and hearth etc..so didnt have to worry about the storage. I
Would only consider storing it outside if i absolutely had no other place inside to put it. Heck, i would put it in the room it was going in and just throw a piece of wood on top and call it a table while waiting for the install

Status
Not open for further replies.