castile auger motor won't shut off (clear control box)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
heatseeker is right. Your vacuum switch is fine if it shows zero ohms. That's closed. The intermittent power to it is also fine since that's what it's supposed to be doing > running your auger intermittently.

So the ONLY problem you have anymore is a mysterious shutdown after 15 minutes? Right?

The last thing you said about the auger was 'It will only run non stop if you bypass the vac switch'
That led me to believe you STILL had an auger problem because bypassing the vac switch should NOT cause it to run 'nonstop'. At this point, I'm not sure what you're doing. Maybe stepping back and taking a fresh look at the whole thing would be best. Your also say that you have voltage every 7 seconds to the vacuum switch but no voltage out even though you test it at zero ohms and the auger turns every 7 seconds. I'm confused as hell.

Sorry for the confision
I tried it again last night.
When i start the stove this its what its doing.
  1. turn remote to on, starts to drop pellets for about about 10 seconds, ignitor starts to turn red.
  2. Flames start in about 45-60 sec.
  3. 2-3 min. green light c.b. on starts to drop more pellets in intervals 2 seconds on 7sec off
  4. 7-9 min green light off, red light on c.b.,
  5. 12-20 min times vary. system will start to shut down, no more pellets dropping. (red light c.b. on, red call light on )
What should i test during shut down?
vac switch??
I have checked and cleaned thermo coupler.
Flame heigth 4"-6"

Sorry for the confision
  1. turn remote to on, starts to drop pellets for about about 10 seconds, ignitor starts to turn red.
  3. 2-3 min. green light c.b. on starts to drop more pellets in intervals 2 seconds on 7sec off
  5. 12-20 min times vary. system will start to shut down, no more pellets dropping. (red light c.b. on, red call light on )
vac switch??
Flame heigth 4"-6"

What setting are you on? Where is the feed gate?

Sounds like you need more fuel? Once the initial bed of pellets burn down, you dont have enough fuel to sustain fire?

Open gate 100% and turn to High... What happens?

Sorry for the confision
vac switch??
Flame heigth 4"-6"

The vacuum switch, hopper switch (on newer stoves), and snap disk #2 can stop the auger feed. Have you jumpered the vac switch recently? Checked the hopper switch?

You don't mention the convection fan, so I assume it didn't start. Do the flames appear normal until just before the stove stops feeding? With your red light on for that long, I would think the blower should start. Could snap disk 2 be tripping? Try starting on medium and a mid feed gate... maybe it will run longer. To be honest, I'd be surprised if the stove could overtemp that quickly, but it can't hurt to consider it.

Did you remove the extra extension on your hopper feed gate that you put on it to limit the feed?

(LOSS OF NEGATIVE PREASURE AT THE VACUUM SWITCH AFTER 10 MINUTES OR SO)
Convection blower works fine no issues, on / off as it should
no hopper switch on this unit.
no i did not remove metal i welded to the adjusting rod. the part i welded on, is to the top of the rod and slotted that part for extra adjustment.

I tried the system again.
FEED GATE ADJUSTING ROD OPENNED TO THE FOLLOWING
  • 100% - 80% - 60% - 40% - 20% All had basicly same results (flame heigth changed a little)
  • (LOSS OF NEGATIVE PREASURE AT THE VACUUM SWITCH AFTER 10 MINUTES OR SO)
System starts and runs as it should for 10 min or so.
at about 10 min. shut down (pellets stop dropping)

the incoming red vacuum switch wire coming from the control board still is asking for pellets every 7 seconds 120v
But for some reason the system loses negative preasure and the switch opens. Not completing the cycle through the switch.
the the outgoing orange wire from the vac switch loses power.
at this point,
I can remove the vac tube from the auger and suck on the hose and the system will operate as it should pellets start to drop pellets immeditely
or i can bypass the v.s. by touching the red and orange wire and the system will restart again by dropping pellets every 7 seconds.

I reset the adjustin rod to the original setting.
I will try to make a w.c. mano meter and see what the readings are ????

Should i try to post a short video.??

Attachments

• vacuum switch Grainger.jpg
    vacuum switch Grainger.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 146
Crazy ass stove.
I relocated the vacuum switch to the front of the unit, so it would be easier to test and to make a video.
Started the system up and it has been running non stop now for 53 minutes.
go figure.;?:)!!!
still running 1 hour 20 minutes

Attachments

• temp. relocate vac switch.jpg
    temp. relocate vac switch.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 169
I will try it on sunday, when i get home from work.
setting is on high.
I will open gate 100% & try.
gate has been on lowest setting.
link to Castile pellet stove
Trouble shooting on page 29-32

Owner’s Manual installation and Operation
http://hearthnhome.com/downloads/installManuals/7022_122.pdf

So you opened the gate from the lowest setting? To the highest setting and it runs??

Amazing what fuel will do? LOL

What setting are you on? Where is the feed gate?

Sounds like you need more fuel? Once the initial bed of pellets burn down, you dont have enough fuel to sustain fire?

Open gate 100% and turn to High... What happens?

still running 3 1/2 hours.
feed gate open about 40%
  • the vac switch relocate working fine
  • if you try to move the v.s. it will open the switch.
  • in the original location it must have been vibrating (causing the v.s. to open) and not losing negative preasure??
NOT SURE ALL I KNOW IT IS WORKING NOW;)
THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO RESPONDED TO THIS POST

Air Sensing Switch, General Purpose, SPDT, Pressure Setting Range 0.12-5.0 In WC, Integral Barbed Sample Line Connector, Differential 0.08 WC, Operating Temp Range -40 To 180 F, Electrical Rating 300 VA Pilot Duty, UL Listed, CSA Certified
most stoves decrease in vacuum as they heat up and the fire gets going. a brand new vacuum switch for Quads are .05 Inches of WC.
i was working on a enviro empress and at cold got like either .25 or .15 Inches wc. put in a .1 vacu switch and only worked till it got up and running and hot. put in the proper .05 and worked fine, .1 switch from harman is 3 times less expensive than the .05 from quad but sometimes you have to have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.