Castile free standing combustion motor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

smalltown

Minister of Fire
Oct 1, 2008
Western Maine
The day before yesterday my free standing Qaudrafire Castile started making a real racket. One of the motors had obviously gone bad.
It's been 10 years on this pellet stove so I feel lucky.
I waited until it cooled then restarted so only the combustion motor was running, and still heard the noise so I know it's not the blower motor for the room air.
I went to the dealer, and bought a motor. I removed the old motor, but am having issues installing the new. As I remember it correctly all I should need to do is loosen the 6 mounting screws turn the motor slightly counter clockwise and off she comes.

The new motor is giving me fits. I finally was able mount the motor only after removing the 6 screws holding the motor while I installed the screws, but I can't rotate the motor clockwise so I can tighten the 6 screws. I don't want to leave it in this position thinking this might vibrate off.

I was thinking of taking a Dremel tool and ever so little enlarging the mounting small slots so the motor will turn.

Anybody had this issue. I've got to fix it today as the temp is about to really plummet.

I know that the motor is correct as the dealer who did not have one in stock took a motor off of a showroom insert model as I watched. Just to get me up and running.

Reactions: kappel15
A rat tail file or dremel the slots bigger should be fine. Are ya done yet. Lol;)

Ssyko have you had to do this yourself before ?

Picked up my old motor and realized that the holes are larger on the original motor. The mounting plate is held on my three bolts. Going to try and remove the fan blade, and mounting bolts and swap it otherwise it's the Dremel.

Yeah I’ve done a few. Mostly stoves that we’re neglected and I’ve refurbished. I hate messing with impeller set screws.

Tried to back out the set screw without any luck. Ruined an allen wrench in the process. Plan B using the files took a while. I thought I had it a couple of times running back and forth between the house and garage, Finally put it all back together and have heat. Thanks for the moral support.

Mine install is in a corner so I have no room to work what a pain. I said some bad words more than once.

Lol yeah I know all about crouching cramping corners mine is too. Glad your back up and running

I got 12 years out of my combustion blower and figured it was going to fail this year so I changed it out back in October, I also changed out the convection blower at the same time. Blowers should be good for hopefully another 10 years. I didn't have the screw slot size issue you experienced thank god, it was a big enough pain in the ass by itself just tearing the whole back of the stove apart. And yes I said some fine words myself through the whole ordeal. Good to hear you made it out alive.

Quad changed suppliers, and low and behold, the holes are wrong! I went thru the same thing on my Santa Fe. I used a drill to change the holes. The air was blue and Quad would not have need happy with what I called them, for not growling at their new supplier long before this. And I won't even go into what it took to put a new exhaust blower on the AE. kap

Replacemnt-Quad-motor-.jpg
Quad-motor-a.jpg

Glad to read that there was a good reason it didn't fit. I was beginning to wonder if I had been sold an aftermarket motor.
Still surprising that Quad would let this slip through. I'll bet a lot of folks are cussing trying to install a new motor.

I did compare the old OEM with the new replacement the new has a couple of less fins and no backing plate behind the fins.