Castile freestanding exhaust motor replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

smalltown

Minister of Fire
Oct 1, 2008
Western Maine
I've had my Castile for some time now. My original exhaust motor lasted maybe 11 years, before it started to squeal.
When I went to replace it at my Quad dealer he had none in the supply room so as I watched he took one from a Castile display stove (never used)
When I tried to install the replacement motor I was having quite a hard time (insert cussing here). What I discovered was that this replacement motor had slightly different mounting holes when compared with the original. It was cold and I needed my stove up and running so I drilled the mounting plate and mounted the new motor.
I was never quite satisfied with the Castile from then on, but it worked and I had heat. It's worked for about three years.
Presently I am experiencing issues with intermittent starts (fire starts, but shuts down before controller goes red) with the controller on medium. On high I start and run fine every time. At times I hear a much louder than usual exhaust motor. So I'm opting to buy another motor.

So my question is: I am a little leery about getting a replacement motor and having the same mounting issue.
Have any of you experienced the same thing ? Did Quad change the mounting holes on the exhaust motor at some point ?

I'm thinking about bringing my original motor to the dealer (trying to support my local dealer), but only buying new if it matches the original mounting surface perfectly. otherwise I'll be shopping elsewhere.

P.S. I have changed the burn pot gasket, and when I can I do the leaf blower cleaning of my piping. All my burn pots holes are clear.

Ran into the same thing years back. They changed company who makes em. And yes, it is a pain in the backside. I would see if feed rate is good enough for fuel you are using. Did you change brands ? Sometimes the same brand, but a different run, can cause issues. Sometimes longer pellets feed less. I would look up drop chute to see if there is any blockage, and maybe even pull auger assy. to see if any pellets made it to the top and is causing issues. Exhaust path clear thru stove and all the way to end of exhaust pipe ? No more then a dimes width gap at back of pot floor ? kap

Reactions: Mt Bob
I check the down chute with a mirror and light when I clean. Any buildup I remove with my vacuum and a clear flexible tube.
Using La Crete pellets that have always burned great in this Castile. This season I am getting more buildup of ash in the burn pot seems , which makes me think I'm not getting enough air flow. To cold right now overnight -20 F, but later next week when the temperature rises (finally) I am going to do another pipe cleaning. Are you saying that the Quad dealers only sell a replacemernt motor that I will need to alter the mounting plate ?

Thanks for responding kappel15

Last i knew, yes. Haven't bought an exhaust fan in a while. kap